Doctor insights on:
Viral Meningitis Contagious Period
Some types: Meningococcal meningitis can be highly contagious, especially in close quarters, e.g. College dorms, military recruits. Vaccinations recommended, before exposure, contacts get prophylactic antibiotic rx. Others may or not be, depending on the type and how the meningitis was contracted. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Viral meningitis is inflammation of the tissues in the brain and spinal cord that is caused most commonly by enteroviruses. Viral meningitis is not usually as severe as bacterial meningitis and usually resolves without any treatment. However, viral meningitis that is caused by the herpes virus can be life threatening if left untreated. Symptoms include fever, neck stiffness, ...Read more
Yes: Although some types are more contagious than others, the three most common types of bacterial meningitis all have vaccines available to reduce the risk. There are no vaccines for viral meningitis, but fortunately viral meningitis is typically less serious than bacterial. ...Read moreSee 9 more doctor answers
Yes but........: It is difficult to say when the incubation period started. Mycoplasma is commonly diagnosed with a blood test. The problem with the blood test called igm is that the test has too many false positive (i.e. Positive test when the disease is not present or when it has resolved), a new test called pcr is really good but most clinics do not offer it. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Viral meningitis contagious pregnancy
- Is viral meningitis contagious herpetic?
- How long is viral meningitis contagious?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Bacterial meningitis contagious period
- Incubation period of viral meningitis
- Viral meningitis incubation period
- Viral gastroenteritis contagious period
- Talk to a pediatrician online