Doctor insights on:
Good drug: This anti-herpes virus drug works in two ways: the active triphosphate is present at much higher concentrations in virally infected cells than in uninfected cells; and the drug targets viral dna polymerase to a much greater degree than human dna polymerases: this means it doesn't kill healthy cells. ...Read more
Since starting Accutane i've experienced more frequent herpesvirus outbreaks consisting of more lesions. Why? Valtrex (valacyclovir) and Accutane together?
Possibly related: There are some reports in the literature of increased h. Simplex perioral outbreaks with Isotretinoin use. Some dermatologists recommend pre-treatment with herpecidal medication (such as valtrex) for one week prior to starting Isotretinoin in those with a history of outbreaks. ...Read more
Antiviral: Treats herpes virus infections, including shingles (herpes zoster), cold sores (herpes labialis), and genital herpes (herpes simplex) in adults. Also treats cold sores and chicken pox in children. This medicine will not cure herpes, but may prevent a breakout of herpes sores or blisters. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
This is possible: If your question is, will a genital herpes outbreak cause anxiety or depression. If that is the question, you may be apprehensive ; therefore it certainly could be a cause of anxiety/depression. A psychiatrist would best be able to target the root of anxiety/depression. If your question is, can anxiety/depression bring on an outbreak, it's unlikely but possible, due to a weakened immune system. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Family history of depression=10% chance of depression. Side effect of valtrex (valacyclovir)=7% of the same. Assume 17% chance of depression if I take valtrex (valacyclovir)?
No: One can only make such an assumption if one has certainty that his chances depression in his PERSONAL case is indeed those numbers (very hard to prove), and also that such numbers would be additive. Thus, one cannot make such assumptions... it's too much of a generalization. Realize that even if there is a 10% risk, you may actually be a member of the other 90% who never get the affliction. ...Read more
Herpes simplex: Depends upon the test to which you are referring. Valtrex (valacyclovir) may diminish the presence of virus in the skin or mucous membranes lesions and lessen the chances of a viral culture being positive, but will not in any way alter the antibody test on a blood specimen. ...Read more
I take zovirax (acyclovir) for herpes simplex (genital). I take 40 mg everyday to suppress the herpes simplex eruptions. Will this drug suppress shingles too?
There is no evidence: No there is no evidens that it will suppress shingles,The only way to prevent shingles is by taking Zostavax the Shingle Vaccine.All adults over the age of 60 are recommemded to have shingle vaccine one dose to prevent shingles Even though Zovirax (acyclovir) is used to treaas it will shorten the course if used within 48 hours of start of the rash.And the dose used is 800 MGM every 4 hours for 5 days ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Ashwagandha - has anybody had positive experiences helping with mental alertness & concentration?
Can a person with genital herpes donate blood or plasma? No outbreaks and currently on Valtrex (valacyclovir)
Yes: According to the package insert, there are no drug interactions. ...Read more
No: This amino acid is in everything you eat. Taking it as a supplement does nothing. Save your money. ...Read more
My mother had herpes simplex encephalitis and 21 days zovirax (acyclovir) antiviral is given. PCR result came negative for herpes, fever is continuous coming ?
PCR for Herpes?: A negative PCR for herpes would be unusual in a person who is suffering from Herpes Simplex encephalitis that was clinically evident by MRI scan and other measures. Did she get an EEG and if so what did it show? Needs to be worked up for the fever. Perhaps herpes Symplex encephalitis is not the correct diagnosis? Wanna talk 1-1?www.healthtap.com/drsaghafi. Key Code: PDXFNR. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer