Doctor insights on:
Upper Gi Series Side Effects
UGI is pretty safe: Upper GI series x-rays esophagus, stomach & upper small intestine after you drink a chalky solution to coat the lining along with fizzies to distend the upper gut. Serious complications are really rare, but some people don't tolerate the volume of liquid, the sensation of distension, or are intolerant to the solution itself. They may vomit or aspirate the oral contrast agent, or have diarrhea. ...Read more
Yes: Upper GI series will show dysphagia but it wont necessarily show the cause. In sjogrens disease the cause of dysphagia can be due to dry throat, but can also be caused by inflammation in the brain stem. The latter might also cause other symptoms besides just dysphagia. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
How safe is the radiation in an upper GI series or swallow?
Is it safe to have this test multiple times over the years?
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Upper and lower gi series
- Upper gi series
- Upper gi series celiac disease
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Upper gi series vs egd
- Upper gi barium side effects
- Upper gi endoscopy side effects
- Upper gi series with small bowel follow through
- Talk to a gastroenterologist online