Doctor insights on:
Ultrasound To Determine Gestational Age
The sonogram is a test that looks at body organs with no radiation. It uses sound waves and can give us a 2 dimensional view of organs such as the kidney, liver, heart, and lungs. It can define spaces that are either solid or full of fluid. I can also guide large needles into an organ or near the spine, and can help define the area being cut open. Its a ...Read more
Is a gestational age reading accurate on a 10 week ultrasound? And what exactly are they measuring?
Yes: An ultrasound done in the first trimester will be accurate to within a week of the due date. In fact don't think of it as a due date, but more as a due week as 90% of women will have their baby one week around their due date. Ultrasounds in the second and third trimester will be accurate to within 2-3 weeks of the due date. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Earlier the better: The accuracy of ultrasound diminishes with the age of the fetus. The most accurate dating is in the first 4-6 weeks. ...Read more
Would the gestational age of 12wks+4days @62mm be off by 1 week since ultrasounds have a margin of error of 1 week in the first trimester?
Estimates: Determination of gestational age is based on estimates determined by the last menstrual period and ultrasound. There is a margin of error with ultrasound, but that does not mean that the gestational age is necessarily different by a week. It means that the ultrasound estimate is 12w4d with a very high likelihood that the actual age is between 11+ to 13+ weeks. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How to determine the age of a baby with an ultrasound?
- Ultrasound gestational age calculator
- Does ultrasound measure gestational age?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Ultrasound to determine babys sex at what time of pregnancy
- Ultrasound to determine sex of baby
- Earliest ultrasound to determine gender
- How to determine baby gender by ultrasound?
- Talk to a obstetrician and gynecologist online