Doctor insights on:
Of the appendix. It generally starts with plugging of the appendiceal lumen with inflammation building up behind it. Common symptoms are abdominal pain localizing to the right lower quadrant, nausea/vomiting, and loss of appetite. Appendicitis is treated with IV fluids + antibiotics and appendectomy (surgical removal of the appendix) either as an ...Read more
You can get very ...: Sick or die. If we diagnose and treat appendicitis early, before perforation, it is a quick operation and short hospitalization. If the appendix is already ruptured, the operation is more difficult, and the hospitalization is longer. If untreated altogether, appendicitis would probably be lethal. ...Read more
Antibiotics?: Not sure why surgery couldn't be done. Appendectomy remains the treatment of choice. However, there is some evidence that uncomplicated appendicitis can be treated successfully with antibiotics. If rupture and abscess formation occur, this can initially be treated with antibiotics and ct-guided catheter drainage if the abscess is large and accessible. Appendectomy is delayed several weeks. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
What does the appendix do? What happens if you have appendicitis? How do physicians treat appendicitis?
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What kind of doctor treats tongue problems?
- The difference between appendicitis and ovarian cysts
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Symptoms of appendicitis in teenage girls
- Menstrual cramps or appendicitis
- Difference between painful ovarian cyst and appendicitis
- How to get appendicitis on purpose?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free