Doctor insights on:
Treatment Trait Thalassemia
Yes: Hematologists (blood specialists) evaluate persons with both sickle cell trait and Alpha thalassemia disease. The sickling should not be a problem, because the person is only sickle trait, and Alpha thal. Mutations seem to lessen the tendency of blood cells to sickle from the sickle cell mutation. Persons with both sickle trait and Alpha thal. Trait probably won't have symptoms needing treatment. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I have thalassemia minor beta trait. I am married to my 1st cousin. He doesn't have any trait of thal. What are the chances for us having normal kids?
Yes!: Different diseases!Get a more detailed answer ›
Can not: It is a genetic condition, which can declare itself as anemia. Carriers may have had inborn protection from malaria. You should learn as much as possible about your condition and it's inheritance. Your doc may refer you to a hematologist if your condition is severe. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Maybe: With thalassemia trait your hemoglobin level may be too low to qualify for donating blood. The trait does not disqualify you based on listings of various donation center sites. You do have to have to meat other age and health requirements. Look up some info at the carter blood care center site or the american red cross. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Genetic disorder: Http://www. Ncbi. Nlm. Nih. Gov/pmc/articles/pmc3237252/ "the disorder is characterized by marked clinical variability, ranging from a mild and asymptomatic anaemia to a life-threatening disorder requiring transfusions from infancy. "...."careful tailoring of treatment is required for each patient, and that therapeutic approaches should be re-assessed over-time." not curable. Look at website-. ...Read more
#1) Starting fires: Also, impulsivity, social estrangement, lack of mental flexibility & impaired executive functions. An urge to set a fire creates tension/arousal that are temporarily relieved by doing so. Treatment geared for age, comorbid mental illnesses & learning disabilities includes Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy, Patterning - pairing fire-starting with an unpleasant sensation, psychotropic medications. ...Read more
If someone with thalassemia trait were to donate blood, would the recipients of that blood be carriers?
No: The donated blood does not alter the recipients system in the long term. The blood cells each have a lifespan approaching 90-100 days after release, then they are broken down in the body and recycled. Blood donation helps a patient catch up with blood losses in the short term and provide stability of the system while it heals. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Getting married but want to get tested for Thalassemia. My fiance said if we both are minor trait we should not get married? Elaborate please!
Get checked: If you both have beta thal minor, each conception has one chance in four of having a catastrophic illness, beta than major. It is horrible. Know your options. ...Read more
Just been diagnosed with thalassemia, doc didn't tell me much as he had a lot of patients, what is it n is there any treatment?
Ok: Thal trait is different from thal major--the trait has one chromosome for this disease and the full disease means each parent gave the trait and that the child got a thalassemia gene from each parent which can cause thal major, a very serious and transfusion requiring process. There are different types of thalassemia--some more concerning than others. Please ask your doctor. ...Read more
Cooley's Anemia: Thalassemia is a blood disorder passed down through families (inherited) in which the body makes an abnormal form of hemoglobin, the disorder results in excessive destruction of red blood cells, which leads to anemia. Thalassemia trait is a genetic possibility you pass on to your offspring. The most important reason for discovering if you carry the thalassemia trait is this: if two people who each. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
No treatment: No specific treatment for thal minor--may take folic acid, but this will not affect the thal minor which is genetic. Your blood counts should be explained to you by your doctor. Please ask. If your spouse has thal minor, you could produce a child with thal major, a serious problem. ...Read more
It appears not: According to information from Egg Donor America (http://www. Eggdonoramerica. Com/egg_donor_become. Php) potential egg donors need to be between ages 18 and 32 and have "no family history of inheritable genetic disorders". I'm sorry. ...Read more
25-50-25: Generally, the hemoglobinopathies are inherited in an autosomal recessive fashion, which means you must have an abnormal copy of the gene from each of your parents. If each parent has one abnormal copy of the same gene, then each child has a 25% chance of being normal, a 50% chance of having one copy of the abnormal gene (trait), and a 25% chance of having two abnormal copies (thalassemia.). ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor online
- Thalassemia trait
- What is thalassemia trait?
- Beta thalassemia trait diagnosis
- Symptoms beta thalassemia trait
- Beta thalassemia trait
- Person thalassemia trait blood donor
- Donate blood anemia thalassemia trait
- Sickle cell trait and alpha thalassemia trait
- Thalassemia trait iron supplement