Doctor insights on:
Self limited illness: Salmonellosis in the US is nontyphoidal. This is a self-limited diarrheal illness which lasts 2 - 7 days. Treatment is supportive and mainly consists of hydration and electrolyte supplementation. Severely ill patients should be hospitalized and may need antibiotics. ...Read more
Supportive care: Gastroenteritis, the most common manifestation of salmonella infection in us, generally requires a supportive care, i.e., maintaining good fluid balance. Exceptions include young infants and individuals with sickle cell disease who may require antibiotics treatment. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes, but seldom...: Salmonella gastroenteritis, in general, is a self-limiting condition and does not require antimicrobial therapy. Exceptions are young infants under 6 months, salmonella osteomyelitis, and food handlers. Typhoid fever, a rare condition in us, certainly requires an appropriate antibiotic treatment. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Broad range: Salmonella organisms can cause a variety of illness ranging from "regular" gastroenteritis to serious bloodborne infections of the heart or bones. Gi sx include vomiting, diarrhea, cramping, fever. Spread through the blood (less common) can lead to heart infections, bone infections, abscesses, infected aneurysms. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is treatment for angina?
- What is treatment for croop?
- What is the best treatment for lumbar lordosis?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Using erythromycin to treat pink eye
- What is the best treatment for delayed menstrual period?
- How long is ringworm contagious after treatment?
- What is the best treatment for anal mucus discharge?
- Talk to a infectious disease specialist online