Doctor insights on:
Fiber and fluids: Simple constipation usually responds to a diet rich in fiber (bran, whole grain cereals, fruits, vegetables) and increased fluid intake (water is sufficient). Several significant causes of constipation other than bad diet should be investigated with the help of your doctor e.g. Hypothroidism, hirschprung's disease among others. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Choices: There are number of things that can gently ease constipation. Hydration (fluids) first. Next adding fiber to your diet. Certain foods can help (exs. Prune juice, black coffee, smooth moving teas, certain probiotics).There are stool softeneres which can help (colace) and there are also oral laxatives (ex. Milk of magnesia). ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Softeners/laxatives: Stool softeners are i.e. Colace or pericolace. Laxatives are many: magnesium citrate, milk of magnesia, senekot, dulcolax, enulose ( lactulose), miralax, exlax. In severe constipation fleet enemas or micro enemas or a full enema are considered. If there is an impaction or blockage at the rectum ( removal of stool) with a finger is indicated by a health care professional. Avoid mg or phos if ckd. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Do not think so: Never have heard that one!Get a more detailed answer ›
Prune juice: Drink lots of water and you can try a little prune juice. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Is miralax safe to use regularly for treating constipation?
- Miralax good treating chronic constipation
- Is miralax a good option for treating my chronic constipation?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Treating constipation in adults
- Exercises for treating constipation
- Treating ibs constipation
- Talk to a gastroenterologist online