Doctor insights on:
Transfusion Dependent Anemia
My dad has low risk MDS. Only anemia, but transfusion dependent of theee units every 6 wks. Platelets and WBC are ok. Blasts in B.marrow1%. Prognosis?
Unpredictable: Don't try to second-guess. It's all percentage odds. He would do well to plan a normal life expectancy, but be prepared (as any person should be) for the onset of serious illness. ...Read more
Significant: Most md's will not transfuse unless the HGB is less than 10gm/dl and more recently this cutoff has been lowered to less than 9gm/dl. The average range for HGB is 12-16. Need for transfusion means you are significantly low. There are many causes. See your physician for further work-up. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Chronic anemia problems since Nov 14. Had 12 transfusions so far. H&h normally at 6.2 & 28% every 2 weeks. Any ideas as to a cause? Iron levels normal
Need a workup: Look Eric. You're either hemorrhaging or hemolyzing or not producing red cells. If one of my first-year medical students was caring for you, he/she would have told me by day 2 which of the three it was, based on elementary labs. Each has several sub-possibilities. If you value your life, get with a physician who's competent and with whom you can communicate. Your not knowing is unacceptable. ...Read more
My grandpa is diagnosed of severe anemia and hes hospitalized now.been injcted of alternative for blood transfusion. Ur thoughts docs?Is ther a chance
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Effects of blood transfusion in anemia
- Iron transfusion for anemia
- Blood transfusion and severe anemia
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Blood transfusion iron deficiency anemia
- Are transfusions for blood loss and iron deficiency anemia the same?
- Can getting a blood transfusion give me autoimmune hemolytic anemia?
- Talk to a hematologist online for free