Top
10
Doctor insights on: Toxic Ingestion

Share
1

1
If blood is added to soda and i drink it within 3 seconds from the time blood is added can HIV be transmitted, does ingestion of blood transmits hiv?

If blood is added to soda and i drink it within 3 seconds from the time blood is added can HIV be transmitted, does ingestion of blood transmits hiv?

HIV: Hiv will not be transmitted in this manner unless you are an infant drinking HIV carrying breast milk from the mother. Glad to hear you have no unprotected sex. That and needle sharing are the major risks. ...Read more

Drug Overdose (Definition)

When the maximum safe dose or dose of medicationis ...Read more


2

2
Trying to understand. Button batteries are very toxic if ingested. If they are burning holes in tissue wouldn't you see bad symptoms a week post ingestion?

Trying to understand. Button batteries are very toxic if ingested. If they are burning holes in tissue wouldn't you see bad symptoms a week post ingestion?

Button batteries: are considered an emergency. there are several problems from toxicity to erosion through the side of the digestive tract. THese need to be removed immediately following ingeestion. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
3

3
Can asymptomatic liver disease caused by drug overdose present as mental illness due to toxic buildup?

Can asymptomatic liver disease caused by drug overdose present as mental illness due to toxic buildup?

Yes: Our liver is extremely important to keep our bodies in balance. By filtering and "getting rid" of substances that can harm our bodies, a healthy liver contributes to our overall health. Many patients with renal and liver problems, that are not properly treated or diagnosed, usually experience mental changes (in reasoning, memory, judgment,etc), that if left untreated can become permanent. ...Read more

4

4
Confused. So, if a baby swallowed a toxic button battery that burnt holes in GI tract, how would it be possible to not see symptoms 1 wk post ingestion?

Confused. So, if a baby swallowed a toxic button battery that burnt holes in GI tract, how would it be possible to not see symptoms 1 wk post ingestion?

Not that common: Button batteries are bad because the electric current does cause chemical burns in the GI tract. However, it usually only happens if the button is stuck somewhere. If a button keeps moving around and eventually out the anus, there may be no symptoms. Batteries that don't get stuck in the esophagus (and cause burns) usually pass through without burning any holes, but doctors do follow-up carefully. ...Read more

10

10
Child's possible accidental poisoning. How do I report my neighbor for negligence?

Child's possible accidental poisoning. How do I report my neighbor for negligence?

Call: You can call your local child and youth protective services. They provide privacy to your call and you can express your concerns. ...Read more

Ingestion (Definition)

Is the consumption of ...Read more