Doctor insights on:
Total Ankle Replacement
I recently had a total ankle replacement done (2.5 wks ago) and I was wondering if smoking small amounts of medical marijuana would hinder healing?
Swelling of r ankle. Total knee replacement may 2012. Infection december 2012. Opened knee again. Now ankle swelling. Cause?
Pain+stiffness: If you have a painful ankle and xrays show loss of cartilage(arthritis) when nmedications, orthotics, braciing and shoe modifications do not allow you to function, you are a potential candidate for an ankle replacement. Requires examination by an ortho surgeon with experience in procedure.Need adequate bone stock, correctable deformity(s), good skin/circulation .Sakvage is an ankle fusion. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Variable: There is some pain involved because of soft tissues and bone are cut and manipulated. Hardware also has to be placed. Many surgeons performing use regional nerve blocks which substantially decrease and sometimes even eliminate the pain for an extended time. Everyone has a different pain tolerance and response to pain medications as well. In short the pain levels vary with individual cases. ...Read more
Ankle surgery: At your age, if indicated (arthritis, etc) it is usually an ankle fusion that takes place unless you have been told you have juvenile ra. Both procedures are commonly done by foot and ankle surgeons who have been trained properly. The recovery time is roughly the same, but at your age, if indicated by medical history and physician evaluation, usually a fusion is done. Hope that helps! ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Inbone total ankle replacement
- Home exercise programs for a total ankle replacement
- What kind of therapeutic exercises after total ankle replacement?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Why might the bottom of my foot be numb after total ankle replacement surgery?
- Total femur replacement surgery
- What is a total knee replacement?
- Total knee replacement guidelines
- Talk to a podiatrist online for free