Doctor insights on:
Toothpaste Without Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
Is sodium lauryl sulfate found in toothpaste and cosmetics actually a poison in cummulated levels?
Why do we use sodium flouride instead of calcium flouride in our toothpastes, mouthwashes etc? It's much less toxic than sodium flouride.
Not bio-available: The short answer is that calcium Fluoride is so extremely insoluble as to be considered unusable by your body. Sodium and stannous fluorides are able to be broken down and then the fluorides can enter into and bond with the enamel. Enamel is made of a ring of ions and the Fluoride substitutes in the center to form a more stable ring. This new "ring" is more resistant to decay. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Sodium Flouride: are beneficial to prevent cavities but is not supposed to be ingested. If it merely occurred while the child is brushing, it should not really be something to worry about. It may take 2 tubes of toothpaste depending on the child's weight to cause toxicity. In fact, some Flouride pills had been taken by some pregnant women in the past if they live in places where they don't have Flouride in H2O. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Reduces cavities: Topically applied fluoride, such as found in toothpaste, has several beneficial effects. It both makes the tooth enamel more resistant to acid and makes it easier for demineralization enamel to pick up minerals. It also helps to reduce the amount of acid the bacteria in the mouth make and interfers with the bacterias ability to stick to the teeth. All of this reduces tooth decay. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Nothing: For a 39 year old, nothing would happen to you. If children under the age of 12 do it daily, then i'd be concerned about them getting too much Fluoride in their system which can then deposit in their developing and calcifying teeth. Too much Fluoride can cause brown mottling appearance of the enamel. If you have a choice, don't swallow toothpaste. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
A lot: An adult would need to swallow more then an entire tube of toothpaste before you could "overdose" on fluoride. You would throw up long before that happened. You only need a pea sized amount of toothpaste to get your teeth clean, so i wouldn't really worrty about this. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What are the dangers of sodium lauryl sulfate in toothpaste?
- The best shampoos without sodium lauryl sulfate
- Dangers of sodium lauryl sulfate
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- The effects sodium lauryl sulfate
- Allergic to sodium lauryl sulfate
- Sodium lauryl sulfate allergy
- Sodium lauryl sulfate and mouth ulcers
- Talk to a pharmacologist online for free