Doctor insights on:
My large toenail is almost off. One side is hanging on. If something pulls it-it's painful! i taped it down. (medical tape.) okay? Will it fall off?
Nail color & texture: can reflect a wide range of medical conditions. Skilled clinicians can often see signs of underlying disease through inspection of fingernails and/or toenails, including: anemia, lung disease, heart disease, thyroid disease, hepatitis, lupus, diabetes, kidney disease, psoriasis, and/or obsessive-compulsive disorder. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Fungus: Trauma and various dermatologic problems can cause thickening and darkening of nails, but the most common cause is toenail fungus. Dermatophyte fungi infect the nail, essentially eating it and discarding the debris underneath. This causes the nail to thicken and discolor. The most effective treatment is oral antifungal medication. Lasers have become popular, but are expensive and not permanent. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Dark line across toenail
- Removal of a blood clot below the fingernail or toenail
- Why is my toenail grey?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What should i do if my toenail fell off due to a fungal nail infection?
- Black line on toenail causes
- How can you get rid of thickened skin underneath a toenail?
- What is casing my toenail to crack horizontally?
- Talk to a dermatologist online