Doctor insights on:
Thyroid And Gaba
Can someone who takes diabetes & high cholesterol medicines along with thyroid medicine & prozac take gaba?
Medicines: You should only take medicines prescribed by your doctors. As the list of prescribed meds grows talk to your primary doctor and see which meds you can do without. I have seen patients with 20-30 prescribed meds and work my way down to dramatically reduce the number of meds. ...Read more
Own self-regulation: Aside from our own self regulation tranquilizers, there are GABA(A) agonists, they are mostly available in a group of anxiolytic meds called positive allosteric modulators, such as alcohol, barbiturates, benzodiazepines, bromides and carbamates. In terms of GABAB, the most common is Baclofen. Muscle relaxation is also a therapeutic property. Bromides and carbamates are not very common at present. ...Read more
Perhaps?: "withdrawals" from what? It is conceivable that gaba could help with symptoms of anxiety, insomnia, or agitation that are part of some withdrawal syndromes; but in my opinion the crucial question is from what substance are you withdrawing? If you are withdrawing from effexor, for instance, the only real relief would require an extremely gradual taper of effexor. ...Read more
No, not exactly: While structurally related to the excitatory neurotransmitter glutamate, theanine only has weak affinity for the glutamate receptor on postsynaptic cells. rather, its primary effect seems to increase the overall level of the brain inhibitory transmitter gaba. Source:en.Wikipedia.Org/wiki/theanine. ...Read more
Can ligand gated ion channels such as GABA be opened or manipulated through other means other than ligands?
No: No ligands can't be manipulated it has a mechanism of action , . ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can thyroid nodules cause pain in your throat and ears?
- Low thyroid causes cold hands and warm face
- Can thyroid problems cause dizziness and lightheaded feelings?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Honey and cinnamon for thyroid
- What is the red and blue that shows up on a thyroid ultrasound?
- Dry throat and mouth caused by thyroid problems
- Thyroid problem and strong urine smell
- Talk to a pharmacologist online for free