Doctor insights on:
Depends: The pancreas is a gland in the back of the abdomen which produces enzymes to digest proteins, fats, and carbs. In pancreatitis, the enzymes start working inside the gland and begin digesting it. The first treatment is fasting, to shut off the enzyme production. Sometimes replacement enzymes are given. Removing the gallbladder, if there are gallstones, can prevent another attack. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Depends on cause: Pancreatitis can be caused by gallstones, medications, high triglycerides, a tumor, and several other causes. The treatment depends on the underlying cause. Most often it starts by hospitalizing patient and giving them IV fluids and restricting oral intake for a period of time. ...Read more
Pain meds and time: The 2 most common causes of pancreatitis are alcohol and gall stones. If you have gall stones, you should have your gall bladder removed. Pancreatitis is more common with binge drinking so if your pancreatitis is due to alcohol, i would advise abstention. Once someone has pancreatitis, the body has to heal on its own. In rare cases antibiotics like primaxin can be used. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How to tell if the enzyme replacement therapy in chronic pancreatitis is effective?
- What is hormone therapy for?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Physical therapy after broken finger
- Fun activities for drug and alcohol abuse group therapy
- What are some physical therapy exercises for a torn meniscus?
- What are the best therapies for a knee click when walking up stairs?
- Talk to a hepatologist online for free