Doctor insights on:
The Original Colon Cleanse
Not recommended, but: I'M ALL FOR IT IF by "cleanse" you mean adopting a healthy lifestyle with routine exercise, cutting out tobacco, reducing alcohol & sugary drinks, minimizing highly processed foods & fats, & adding in lean proteins, whole fruits, vegetables, & nuts. DON'T DO IT IF instead you mean taking some fad diet, enema, colonic, or purgative to lose weight or supposedly rid your body of unspecified "toxins." ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes and No: It can help release toxins, but please realize that your body naturally wants to get toxins out. When you have enough fiber in your diet, the toxins will bind and be eliminated. Make sure your liver has what it needs to detox appropriately. I do not believe colon cleanses are necessary. You can get bloating, cramping.. Don't force a detox. Support the body and it will detox on its own! ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Depends: Depends on what you mean by "natural colon cleanse." technically, the colon is cleansing itself all the time, as long as we eat enough fiber to give our stool bulk and insure that toxins are bound and carried out. Some people take various products for colon cleanses. Many of these contain senna or other laxative. I discourage these products unless you are constipated. ...Read more
Not helpful: Cleansing of the colon is a common prescription by alternative medical practitioners for a variety of GI and other problems. The colon is very effective at self cleaning and really does not need this preparation. There are no clinical studies showing any positive effect of 'cleansing' although many show no effect at all. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Best over-the-counter colon cleanse
- Are colonoscopy preps essentially the same thing as a colon cleanse?
- Hot water bottle on the liver to cleanse the colon
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- About the papaya colon cleanse
- The slim quick colon cleanse diet for women
- What are the benefits of epsom salts for a colon cleanse?
- What are the benefits of a daily colon cleanse?
- Talk to a gastroenterologist online