Doctor insights on:
The Major Organs Of The Digestive System
About 24 Hours: Food is broken down by chewing & digestive enzymes in mouth & swallowed down esophagus to stomach where more enzymes & acid chemically break it down further. Passing into the 40 feet long small intestine where bile from the liver neutralizes acid & breaks up fats. Pancreatic enzymes break down starches. The remaining waste has water resorbed & is eliminated as stool. It takes about 24 hours. ...Read more
Nutrition: Our nutrition decisions and intake can affect every part of our body. Our body use glucose as its main energy source but can get glucose from sugars, proteins and fats. There are vitamins and minerals that our body needs to run the multitude of chemical reactions constantly running. Deficiencies can lead to many different medical issues with two of the more common being anemia or osteoporosis ...Read more
Healthy diet: The best way to get healthy digestive system is to eat a healthy diet. Avoid highly processes foods, substituting whole grains, generous portions of vegetables and fruits. Eat appropriate portions. Proteins can come from meats, fish, cheese, yogurt. Generally "wild" or free range have better balance of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids. Greek yogurt is a good natural "probiotic". ...Read more
Unclear question: What symptoms do you have? Have you had unintended weight loss? Any nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, blood in stool? The issue may not be suitable for this forum as it requires taking a history, physical examination, lab tests and may be imaging studies. Please consult your doctor. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can some of the organs in the digestive system be transplanted?
- The major organs of the skeletal system
- How long does food stay in each area of the digestive system?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What kind of muscle moves food through the digestive system?
- What organs of the excertory system do kidney stones effect?
- Flow of food through the digestive system
- What is most muscular part of the digestive system?
- Talk to a colorectal surgeon online for free