Doctor insights on:
Millions: Thalassemia is likely the most common one-gene mutation in the world. Overall, an estimated 20-25 million people are carriers (1/300) (about 1/1000 in low-risk peoples, and about 1/30 in high-risk peoples). Low risk: japanese, korean, n. European caucasians, native canadians, native americans. High risk: mediterranean, middle eastern, south asian, south-east asian (western pacific rim), caribbean. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
If one if rhe parents is a thalassemia carrier and the other is normal, all of their kids will get thalassemia?
I'm a beta minor thalassemia carrier. And my soon to be wife is a beta minor as well. Are there treatments to reduce the risk of getting a beta major?
Rule of inheritance: Your chance of a child with homozygous beta thalassemia are 1 in 4, for heterogeneous thalassemia (thalassemia trait) are 1 in 2, and the odds are 1 in 4 for a normal hemoglobin profile. There are procedures commercially available to eliminate the risk of beta thal major if your philosophy allows for it. We can discuss further; www.healthtap.com/dr-nnebe ...Read more
Avoid 2 bad genes: One way to avoid having a child who inherited a bad trait, is to make sure that NOT both parents carry genes for that bad trait. So, a woman carrying a thalassemia gene (beta mutations are on chromosome 16, or alpha on 11) wants to marry a man with NO thalassemia mutations. Likewise, a man with G6PD (on chromosome X) wants to marry a woman with no G6PD. A doctor can check both the man and woman. ...Read more
Of course you can: A person can marry anyone they like. From a thalassemia perspective, and assuming your Alpha thal trait is in cis, your child has a 50/50 chance of being Alpha thal trait vs. Normal and a 50/50 chance of being beta thal trait vs. Normal. Given there is consideration of inheriting two distinct trait states, it would be prudent to sit with a genetic counselor to understand the implications clearly. ...Read more
Is there a certain kind of doctor that can determine if you are a silent alpha thalassemia carrier?
Specialists: Hematologists and geneticists are two highly trained physicians who can help you sort this out. ...Read more
I have a friend who is a carrier of thalassemia. The girl he intends to marry is also a carrier. Does this mean they can't have children?
Not infertile: But they have 25% chance that any child will have full blown thalassemia major which is devastating, 50% that child will also be carrier & only 25% child will be thalassemia major or carrier free. They have as much chance of having children as any other couple, but is it worth it? ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Husband is carrier for thalassemia minor
- Thalassemia carrier and pregnancy
- Alpha thalassemia carrier
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How many people are thalassemia carriers?
- Hbv carrier
- Baby carrier
- Talk to a pediatrician online