Doctor insights on:
Symptom Of Arthritis Of The Sesamoid Bone
Bone is a living growing tissue made mostly of collagen (protein that provides soft framework) & the mineral calcium phosphate that adds strength & hardens the framework. Two types of bone are found in the body; cortical (dense compact outer layer) & trabecular (makes up inner layer, ...Read more
Certain conditions: Pain due to chronic sesmoiditis or arthritis can occur in the hand and foot after trauma or in association with inflammatory diseases. Initial treatment is conservative - ice, nsaids, unloading and behavior modification. Steroid injections can be both therapeutic and diagnostic (if symptoms improve, it is likely to be the source of pain). Sesmoidectomy should be the last resort. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Normal anatomy: Sesamoid bones are part of our normal anatomy. They can be commonly found in our thumbs, index finger and great toe. You should not seek treatment for this unless you have been diagnosed with a proble of the bone. Very rare but people have been known to fracture them. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Which Sesamoid: The great toe will deviate towards the side of the remaining sesamoid in some cases and should be fixed if possible, rather than excised. The 'tibial' sesamoid is the one towards the middle of the toe, the 'fibular' sesamoid is the outside one and excision of either will cause the toe to deviate away from the side that has been excised. Look this up online if you need more information. ...Read more
Broken your sesamoid: Two very small sesamoids (about the size of corn) are found in the underside of the forefoot near the great toe, one on the outer side of the foot and the other closer to the middle of the foot. Like other bones, sesamoids can break (fracture). It is common among ballet dancers, runners and baseball catchers. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can you get arthritis or osteoarthritis on the bones of your hand?
- The best types of exercise to prevent bone loss associated with lower back arthritis
- Sesamoid bones of the foot
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is the cause of pain in my collar bone and numbness in both arms?
- Is the feeling of an empty stomach but not hungry a symptom of pregnancy?
- What is the main function of the epiphyseal plates in bones?
- I have pain in the bone of my right elbow what should i do
- Talk to a rheumatologist online for free