Top
10
Doctor insights on: Swimming River Accidently Swallowed Water Giardiasis

Share
1

1
I was swimming in a river and accidently swallowed some water, am I risk for giardiasis?

I was swimming in a river and accidently swallowed some water, am I risk for giardiasis?

Usually not: Just because you swam somewhere doesn't mean you will get giardia. It is a parasite and is acquired by swallowing it (contaminated food or water). The symptoms ate gas, cramping pain, and on and off diarrhea. ...Read more

See 2 more doctor answers
Dr. Barbara Lavi
43 doctors shared insights

Giardiasis (Definition)

The intestinal tract with ...Read more


2

2
The water in the river looks clean, can I still catch giardiasis if I drink it?

The water in the river looks clean, can I still catch giardiasis if I drink it?

Yes: If a cow or racoon(or camper) did his/her poopy up stream there is the possibility that microscopic giardia cysts were part of that load.Boil the water for ten minutes & avoid the risk. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
4

4
When children swallow swimming pool water, can it make them sick?

When children swallow swimming pool water, can it make them sick?

Pool water: If the pool is properly maintained and the water properly treated, the liklihood of serious illness is minimal. If non-toilet trained infants/children are swimming, transmission of giardiasis, cryptosporidium and enteroviruses ( echo virus and coxsackie virus) all causes of diarrheal illness is possible. ...Read more

7

7
I went swimming today and may have swallowed some water. Since then, I've felt some fatigue(which is normal)and some stomaches(not normal), am I okay?

I went swimming today and may have swallowed some water. Since then, I've felt some fatigue(which is normal)and some stomaches(not normal), am I okay?

Get checked: Get a quick check up. if the water gets into your lungs, it could cause some injury which can affect your breathing and your oxygenation. And the fatigue may be an early symptom. Getting checked in an urgent care center or emergency room is the best thing to do so you can prevent getting into worse problems. tell your parents soon. ...Read more

8

8
Went swimming in very cold water a few days ago, since then it hurts to swallow very cold food or liquids. Thoughts?

Went swimming in very cold water a few days ago, since then it hurts to swallow very cold food or liquids. Thoughts?

Provide more info: Unfortunately there is not enough information to venture a diagnosis. Even with further information it will probably take an examination, and possibly tests, to make a diagnosis. Please see your primary care physician. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
9

9
Headache after swimming swallowed some chlorine water, 8 yr old?

Headache after swimming swallowed some chlorine water, 8 yr old?

Swimming headache: Not sure if chlorine water ingestion is the cause of the headache. If it is, observe, have him rest, given Acetaminophen or ibuprofen. If it is caused by another reason and not severe, the above approach should help as well. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
10

10
I just went swimming at the beach and swallowed salt water now I am coughing and have a sore throat. What should I do? I also have allergies n asthma

I just went swimming at the beach and swallowed salt water now
 I am coughing and have a sore throat. What should I do? I also have allergies n asthma

Time: There is nothing special to do for small volume salt water inhalation. Salt water can be irritating but your body/lungs and throat will be fine in a few hours. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer