Doctor insights on:
Swallowing A Battery
Depends on location: If the battery reaches the stomach, it will be allowed to pass through the body. If it becomes lodged in the throat or esophagus, it must be retrieved to avoid the caustic erosion and possible perforation of the pharynx (throat) or esophagus. The procedure is performed under general anesthesia.
This didn't happen and hopefully never will but I've been reading dangers of toddlers swallowing button batteries. How soon would symptoms show and what?
Sudden colic: It is hard to define the delay before symptoms as ingestion is often unrecognised. Abdominal cramps/pain/sudden change in behavior may be your only signs. The button battery generates an electrical current that can destroy tissue and the battery eats through the wall of the stomach or intestines. This allows digestive debris including germs to leak into the inside of the body. Disaster is predicatble.
If 2 yo swallowed disc battery 9 days ago would I see symptoms by now? No proof he did. He has a cough/cold from before that and some dk brown stool. Worry?
Confirm or??: The toxicity of a button battery varies with the location and the residual power left in the battery. Weaker batteries would take much longer than new ones to erode thru the gut and produce a catastrophic event. A simple xray of the gut could confirm its presence. Most would pass thru a kid in 3-5 days. I can screen for these in the office with a small metal detector from harbor freight.
X-ray: An x-ray would be able to tell you.
Go to emergency room: Button battery can cause severe problems in the esophagus, including perforation.
Yes: There are many toxic elements in a AAA battery -- you need to get him evaluated.See 1 more doctor answer
Yes: The size of the aa battery is quite large for the anatomy of a 3 year old child. She could develop serious problems in trying to pass something that size into her stool. She should be seen at the nearest children's emergency room for imaging and intervention.
I'm not sure but I think my 15 mth old baby boy might have swallowed a AAA battery. The reason I think so is bc I caught him with my remote and a battery was missing! I kno he might need an xray but what im wondering is how easy would it be for him to pa
See doc now. Need XR: Swallowed batteries need immediate removal as they pass current through tissues which can lead to puncture of. Intestinal wall.
Confused. So, if a baby swallowed a toxic button battery that burnt holes in GI tract, how would it be possible to not see symptoms 1 wk post ingestion?
Not that common: Button batteries are bad because the electric current does cause chemical burns in the GI tract. However, it usually only happens if the button is stuck somewhere. If a button keeps moving around and eventually out the anus, there may be no symptoms. Batteries that don't get stuck in the esophagus (and cause burns) usually pass through without burning any holes, but doctors do follow-up carefully.
At sisters house a wk ago. 2 yo brought me a button battery he found. My sister swears it was only one. Would symptoms be obvious now if he did swallow one?
Foreign Objects: There would not be any symptoms and the battery would pass in the stool.
Swallowing a Dime: Usualy a dime will pass through without any ill effects. Are you sure it was a dime - if it was a thin wafer-type battery it could cause lots of harm.?
Natural event: Burping is caused by air that you swallow. Most of us don't swallow air on purpose. But eating air is easier to do than you might think. You can increase the chances of swallowing air by: smoking, chewing gum, drinking through a straw, sucking on hard candies, drinking a lot of carbonated beverages and eating or drinking quickly.
There isn't too: Much info here. You could have inflammation or an infection. Or significantly sore throat w swollen tonsils / lymph nodes – see physician ; get a strep throat test ; culture. Antibiotics are imperative for strep throat. Try saltwater gargles. Mix tsp of salt in 8 oz of warm water – gargle w this several times/day.
Dehydration/meds: There are several causes of dry mouth and dry swallowing. It can be that you are not drinking enough water, or too much caffeine or alcohol (both of the are dehydrating). It can also mean that you are taking medications that are drying like antihistamines. It may also be from high sugars so check with your doctor for exam and labs.
Consult pharmacist: I would consult with your pharmacist because it depends on what it is. Some tablets are scored and can be cut. Some capsules can be emptied and sprinkled. Some times there is an alternative to the large pill for that particular med (i.e., liquid form or taking more pills of a lower dosage). Your pharmacist can advise you of safe options. Take care.
Try this...: You can try either crush the pills and put them in some applesauce or juice. If their size and shape presents a problem, try first with something similar in size (such as a skitles or m & ms). Finally, also eliminating their scent (by closing off you nose, for example) can help facilitate the swallowing of a pill; good luck!
- Talk to a doctor online
- What if you swallow a button battery?
- What happen if you swallow a button battery?
- What would happen if adult swallow a button battery?
- What would happen if a adult swallow a button battery?
- What would happen if a adult swallow a battery from a hearing aid?
- What would happen if a adult swallow a hearing aid battery?
- What if you swallow a button battery like a hearing aid?
- What would happen if you swallow a button battery?