Doctor insights on:
Swallowed Toothbrush Bristle
I just accidentally swallowed a toothbrush bristle. I can feel it in my throat. Should I try and get it out? Will it hurt me if I ingest it?
No: But not a good idea. Hopefully swallowed foreign objects will pass without incident. ...Read more
Not much to do: They will most likely harmlessly pass.Get a more detailed answer ›
I swallowed some of a toothbrushes the rubber back and bristles;i read this can cause appendicitis, should I be worried or will it pass on its own?
Should pass: This should not cause appendicitis. It should pass on its own. Drink plenty of water and eat regular meals. If you develop pain see a doctor immediately. The bigger question is why are you eating toothbrushes? Please talk to your doctor about this if you think it is a problem. ...Read more
My toothbrush has loose bristles and the last few times that I brushed my teeth, I swallowed some. Is this okay? Could the bristles lead 2 obstruction
No: If the bristles were that color when you got the brush and it is an ada accepted brush, it's safe. If they were once white and are now pink, you could have periodontal disease since its probably blood. ...Read more
Parasites: None that I know of. I have never heard or read an article showing that parasites live on toothbrushes with plastic bristles and handles in rare cases fungus maybe. Be sure your brush can air dry daily and change when worn. If you are still worried run through dw or let sit in 1 part bleach and 3 parts water for 15 min then rinse well. ...Read more
No: I used to think if you were careful, manuel toothbrushing was as effective as electric. Then I started using a sonicare and my gums and teeth are much cleaner. My periodontal probings (pockets) have all improved. By using the electric toothbrush exclusively and flossing daily, you too can achieve better oral health. ...Read more
Smaller brush size: Toothbrushes come in different sizes. Smaller sizes are usually recommended for people with smaller mouths. ...Read more
Bleach water: A simple and effective solution to disinfect your toothbrush would be a solution of water and bleach (10 to 1). You can simply put a capful of household bleach like clorox into a glass of water. You can't use it with any metallic surface or item due to corrosion. Let it soak for an hour. Then rinse it off. ...Read more
Not that necessary: Cold sores/herpes are quite common and can be contagious. Changing your tooth brush every 3 months or so is recommended for dental care, but not that necessary for cold sore prevention (assuming u r not sharing toothbrush). The virus that is causing your recurrent sores comes from your own body/nerve, not toothbrush. There are medicines to suppress them if you have frequent recurrences. Good luck. ...Read more
Yes: Clinical studies show a dramatic improvement in overall oral health. We highly recommend using either sonicare or oral-B ...Read more