Top
20
Doctor insights on: Swallowed Small Piece

Share
2

2
I swallowed a small piece of glue and need to know if I will die from it.

Call Poison Control: Likely not, but depends on type, amount, when. Call Poison Control now. They will help guide you as to what to do. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
3

3
I think I swallowed a small piece of metal from a can of sauce.! What do I do.? I'm freaking out.?

I think I swallowed a small piece of metal from a can of sauce.! What do I do.? I'm freaking out.?

You're ok: Most foreign body ingestions can be managed conservatively. If you are not sure about having ingested a foreign body, then it could not have been very large. In this case, if it has entered your stomach, it will likely pass in less than four days, probably sooner. If you develop any gastrointestinal symptoms, you can see your doctor. He might order an abdominal x-ray and manage you expectantly. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
4

4
I just swallowed a small piece of a plastic fork. What should I do?

I just swallowed a small piece of a plastic fork. What should I do?

Asparagus: For most, a small piece will transit out without difficulty within 3-4 days. If you consume some asparagus, especially in the stringy soupy form, it will form a congeal around the foreign object and soften the edges. Little kids swallow all sorts of stuff and my pedi-surgeon friend used this to help avoid having to go find them surgically. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
5

5
I might have swallowed a small piece of glass (about 2mm length by 1.5mmwidth by 1mm thick). What should I do?

I might have swallowed a small piece of glass (about 2mm length by 1.5mmwidth by 1mm thick). What should I do?

Nothing: A sharp object like a needle or chicken bone that gets stuck in the esophagus needs to be retrieve by endoscopy due to the risk of perforation of the esophagus. If the piece of glass was truly only 2 mm x 1.5 mm it's not likely to get lodged in the esophageal wall due to it's tiny size. It should pass out of your body with your stool. But it you develop pain must see Dr asap. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
7

7
I think I swallowed a small piece plastic (thats from the noodles) what can I do to make it go down or am I ok.? What should I do.?

I think I swallowed a small piece plastic (thats from the noodles) what can I do to make it go down or am I ok.? What should I do.?

Should be fine: This happens often. Don't be concerned. Bread bag ties have gotten trapped in the gut and been found years later. Smaller things pass easily. ...Read more

9

9
Two days ago, I swallowed a small piece of plastic which was broken from a fork I was using. Would it be harmful to my body? Would it get digested?

Two days ago, I swallowed a small piece of plastic which was broken from a fork I was using. Would it be harmful to my body? Would it get digested?

It could be: Harmful, as if it was sharp, it could have damaged your intestinal tract ranging from your esophagus all the way to your colon. But if it was a very small piece, more than likely it became encapsulated by your stool and at this point, you've likely already pooped it out. You can't digest plastic. At this point, you need to monitor for abdominal pain. If you develop pain reach out to your doc. ...Read more

12

12
Swallowed a small piece of bread, went down the wrong pipe, not choking but feels weird, read about this possibly causing a bad case of pneumonia, ?

Swallowed a small piece of bread, went down the wrong pipe, not choking but feels weird, read about this possibly causing a bad case of pneumonia, ?

Aspiration: What you describe is an aspiration event. Usually, our reflexes protect our airway from foreign objects getting down into the lungs. Certain populations are at higher risk for aspiration pneumonia, usually due to a failure of these reflexes. I would monitor your symptoms and follow up with your doctor if you develop fever or persistent cough. ...Read more

13

13
I accidentally swallowed a small piece of Plastic off an icee wrapper trying to make a small whole what will happen Iam suppose to have a bypass in 3?

I accidentally swallowed a small piece of Plastic off an icee wrapper trying to make a small whole what will happen Iam suppose to have a bypass in 3?

It shall pass too: As long as this is not causing a problem with your breathing it is not an emergency and it will get through the gastrointestinal tract without causing any internal damage. Take care. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
14

14
Adult maybe swallowed a small piece of a rib bone. Any concerns, no symptoms, not sure if he swallowed it, ?

Adult maybe swallowed a small piece of a rib bone. Any concerns, no symptoms, not sure if he swallowed it, ?

How small?: Small bone fragments may pass harmlessly through your gut. However, if they turn sideways, they may get stuck at any point. This may cause local inflammation (in the esophagus and throat it may feel like something is stuck when it is not), rupture, foreign body reactions, and impede eating as food backs up behind the obstructing bone. Tiny bone fragments may not be readily found on x-ray. ...Read more

15

15
My daughter thinks she has swallowed a small piece of lego. She woke up crying but has now gone back to sleep?

My daughter thinks she has swallowed a small piece of lego. She woke up crying but has now gone back to sleep?

That is great: If it was in her air way you would not have the time to write now. So the piece of plastic was in her esophagus and has by now almost certainly passed into her stomach. It has no sharp edges or points so it will just pass out of her via her stool probably in 3-4 days time. If she gets really cranky and her abdomen tightens up (I think very unlikely) then she has to be evaluated immediately. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
16

16
My 5 month old baby swallowed a small piece of hair (my husband moustache) will it be a problem? What can I do? Am.already worried Pls help

My 5 month old baby swallowed a small piece of hair (my husband moustache) will it be a problem? What can I do? Am.already worried Pls help

Relax: This to shall pass. Prepare for other strange items. It seems babies/toddlers use their sense of taste as part of exploring their world. The main items I worry about are drugs/button batteries and small magnets. Keep these away from baby and life will be easier. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
18

18
Accidentally swallowed a small piece of plastic. I feel fine and didn't choke. Can this cause a disease or will I just poop it out and be fine?

Accidentally swallowed a small piece of plastic. I feel fine and didn't choke. Can this cause a disease or will I just poop it out and be fine?

Tastes like plastic.: As long as you didn't' swallow a plastic milk jug, I think you will be fine. But, if bowel problems should arise, best to be evaluated. ...Read more

20

20
My 2 1/2 year old chewed up and swallowed a small piece of a baby back rib bone. He had small bits left in his mouth, not too sharp. What to do?

My 2 1/2 year old chewed up and swallowed a small piece of a baby back rib bone. He had small bits left in his mouth, not too sharp. What to do?

Not a problem: Button batteries, pieces of jagged metal, carpet tacks, straight pins or needles I worry about, this I ignore if it makes it into the stomach. (if he can drink it went in okay). ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
Find us on Facebook