Top
10
Doctor insights on: Swallowed Plastic Will

Share
1

1
If my son has swallowed several plastic puzzle pieces then will I need to do anything to get it out?

If my son has swallowed several plastic puzzle pieces then will I need to do anything to get it out?

Depends: On how big they are and whether they have sharp edges, and whether he becomes symptomatic with drooling or vomiting or pain. He should be evaluated in your local ER ASAP. He may need an urgent upper endoscopy to remove the pieces before they travel out of the stomach and either get stuck or injure the bowel. ...Read more

See 2 more doctor answers
2

2
3yr old swallowed sharp plastic shaped in a "t" about 1" x 1.25".Ped said wait till pass. Any danger symptoms to look for?If doesn't pass, tx options?

3yr old swallowed sharp plastic shaped in a "t" about 1" x 1.25".Ped said wait till pass. Any danger symptoms to look for?If doesn't pass, tx options?

Probably will pass: Even odd shaped things swallowed will usually pass. The most important thing is that it did not get stuck in the bak of the throat, but he would be coufging or gagging. Plastic won't usually show up on xray but it is important to make sure it passes in his stool. Rarely things can get stuck in the bowel wall, but unlikely. I have seen open safety pins pass, so look in the stool. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
3

3
I swallowed the plastic coating of black pudding.I swallowed quite an amount. Google black pudding if you do not know what it is.Will I be ok?

I swallowed the plastic coating of black pudding.I swallowed quite an amount. Google black pudding if you do not know what it is.Will I be ok?

Likely yes: I'm not sure by what you mean "quite an amount". Normally the plastic would be eliminated in your stool. It's not likely to be digested. Unless you ate a huge amount wouldn't think you would have a problem with obstruction of the bowel. Toxicity from the plastic likely minimal. If no abdominal pain or other difficulty it should pass normally in your stool ...Read more

4

4
My two year old took a bit of a cheese stick through the wrapper. She swallowed the plastic wrapping. Do I need to worry about it being poisinous?

My two year old took a bit of a cheese stick through the wrapper. She swallowed the plastic wrapping. Do I need to worry about it being poisinous?

Mgt: A small amount that did not cause respiratory problems should not be a problem. Observe her breathing and if any problems occur, please see the ED. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
5

5
Swallowed a plastic flipper tooth have had one bowel since an nothing how long could it possibly take I'm very petite 5 98 pnds?

Swallowed a plastic flipper tooth have had one bowel since an nothing how long could it possibly take I'm very petite 5 98 pnds?

Swallows tooth: This should normally pass within a few days so don't worry too much about swallowing the tooth. But if you are having any problems breathing such ad wheezing toy should see your doctor. This may mean that you aspirated it into your lungs instead of swallowing it. ...Read more

6

6
I have a splint for my TMJ but fear cancer from grinding and swallowing that plastic at night?

I have a splint for my TMJ but fear cancer from grinding and swallowing that plastic at night?

No fear: Plastics are incredibly inert biologically and all the talk about their "causing cancer" is from scaremongers. The artificial chemicals that really cause cancer are the ones that can mutate dna -- a plastic polymer won't even gain entry to a cell. Tmj can be very troublesome and finding an effective treatment difficult -- i wish you luck and admire your courage in writing. ...Read more

See 2 more doctor answers
8

8
18y swallowed sm plastic. Endoscopy due to throat/chest pain 40h ago. Sm lacerations.Now same pain and temp 101. Ok to wait and see or go to ER?

Concerning!: If there are no other symptoms to suggest another source (like a cold or flu) one must consider a post procedure complication. I suggest an examination ASAP in the ER. Hope all goes well. ...Read more

9

9
What do you advise if i swallowed a plastic teeth whitening strip in my sleep n think its stuck in my throat. Am i in danger?

What do you advise if i swallowed a plastic teeth whitening strip in my sleep n think its stuck in my throat. Am i in danger?

Whitening strip: Go to the ER. Also, you should not sleep with whitening strips in your mouth. Use only when awake. See your dentist for a more effective whitening procedure. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
10

10
What do you suggest if i swallowed a plastic teeth whitening strip in my sleep n think its stuck in my throat. Am i in danger?

What do you suggest if i swallowed a plastic teeth whitening strip in my sleep n think its stuck in my throat. Am i in danger?

See physician: I would recommend you see your physician to have him look down your throat to see if the strip is actually there. If it is, then he can tell you what is the next step to remove the strip. I recommend seeing your doctor asap. ...Read more

See 2 more doctor answers