Top
20
Doctor insights on: Swallowed Object

Share
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
64 doctors shared insights

Swallowed Object (Overview)

Foreign body ingestion describes the act of swallowing an undigestible object such as a penny or small plastic toy. If the object is non toxic and small enough it may pass through the system without causing problems. Other times the object may be composed of harmful materials or so large or sharp that it may pose a significant health risk. In this case surgery or endoscopic intervention may be necessary. Additionally, some harmless objects may be surgically removed if they fail to pass in a week.


1

1
When a child swallows forgien objects what noises would it make if it were stuck in the "wind pipe"?

When a child swallows forgien objects what noises would it make if it were stuck in the "wind pipe"?

Choking then...: The child can be seen to be choking while eating some thing like popcorn or nuts or after putting some small item in the mouth. This should be treated as illustrated. If there is onset of coughing with some breathing difficulty and wheezing the foreign body has been aspirated and the child should be immediately taken to the nearest emergency room. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
64 doctors shared insights

Swallowed Object (Overview)

Foreign body ingestion describes the act of swallowing an undigestible object such as a penny or small plastic toy. If the object is non toxic and small enough it may pass through the system without causing problems. Other times the object may be composed of harmful materials or so large or sharp that it may pose a significant health risk. In this case surgery or endoscopic intervention may be necessary. Additionally, some harmless objects may be surgically removed if they fail to pass in a week.


2

2
Can rabies cause an enlargedh epiglottis or a feeling like you swallowed an object without any pain?

Can rabies cause an 
enlargedh epiglottis or a feeling like you swallowed an object without any pain?

Swallowing pain: Rabies can cause swallowing trouble, but it's usually a bacteria that causes the epiglottis to swell. We call that bacteria Haemophilus influenzae or HIB for short. Sometimes other viruses can do it too... best to get it checked by a doctor. Rabies is very rare, and you would have to have an 'animal' exposure of some kind for that... plus there wouldn't be obvious swelling thank goodness. ...Read more

3

3
My toddler is having a bowel moment 4 times a day and struggling to do so. How do I know if he has swallowed a object and tryingto pass it?

My toddler is having a bowel moment 4 times a day and struggling to do so. How do I know if he has swallowed a object and tryingto pass it?

Probably not : If your child indeed has swallowed something and it is causing a blockage, he would most likely be in pain and having vomiting. He is probably just a little constipated so try some warm prune juice. ...Read more

4

4
Sore throat after swallowing sharp object?

Sore throat after swallowing sharp object?

Go to the doctor: This is the very definition of crazy. I mean that in all of the non-judgmental way possible since men often deny they have a medical problem. But it s time to get to the er for urgent medical evaluation! ...Read more

5

5
Can a toddler swallowing a foreign object cause vomiting six hours later? No proof he ate anything i just worry he put something in his mouth.

Can a toddler swallowing a foreign object cause vomiting six hours later? No proof he ate anything  i just worry he put something in his mouth.

Access to batteries?: What was it that happened 6 hours beforehand? If he is able to swallow liquids normally, i would not be too concerned about a foreign object unless he had access to a small battery that he may have swallowed. In that case he should be x rayed. Also if you suspect coin ingestion, xray to be sure it cleared esophagus.If he has persistent vomiting, of course you need to speak with his physician. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
8

8
Ball shaped object a tad bit smaller than a dime in the back of throat near tonsils. Can feel when swallow no pain but irritating. What could this be?

Ball shaped object a tad bit smaller than a dime in the back of throat near tonsils. Can feel when swallow no pain but irritating. What could this be?

Tonsil Stone ?: Only a guess, since this needs to be visualized. See your physician for a definitive diagnosis and treatment if necessary. ...Read more

10

10
If Accidentally swallowed an object like piercing while pregnant does it cross the placenta and harm the baby? What can and can't cross the placenta?

If Accidentally swallowed an object like piercing while pregnant does it cross the placenta and harm the baby? What can and can't cross the placenta?

No it does not: cross the placenta. Only things in the blood stream can cross the placenta. And then not even blood cells cross it. So microscopic nutrients, minerals, some medications that are taken pass along with some other things too complicated for this discussion. So a piercing you swallowed does not leave your intestines, does not get in your blood stream and has no chance of passing to your baby, ...Read more

11

11
I swallowed a bobby pin, will i be okay?

I swallowed a bobby pin, will i be okay?

EVAL: I would seek medical evaluation. Some objects pass easily through the digestive tract. The problem with a bobby pin is that it is elongated and narrow. Thus it could get caught up in or puncture the GI tract. ...Read more

See 2 more doctor answers
12

12
I swallowed a metal pen lid. what should i do?

I swallowed a metal pen lid. what should i do?

Foreign body: In general when swallowing a foreign body such as a pen lid you can expect to pass the foreign object in your stool in 5-7 days. Check your stools daily Sometimes eating bread or food helps to pass the foreign body more rapidly ...Read more

14

14
Swallowed a piece off candle. What could happen?

Swallowed a piece off candle. What could happen?

probably nothing: Candle wax is insert and cannot break down with the usual bodily enzymes. The candle piece should pass harmlessly without any problems. ...Read more

15

15
I accidentally swallowed a dime. What should I do?

I accidentally swallowed a dime. What should I do?

Swallowing a Dime: Usualy a dime will pass through without any ill effects . Are you sure it was a dime - if it was a thin wafer-type battery it could cause lots of harm. ? ...Read more

17

17
Please help me! i accidently swallowed some mash wash?

Please help me! i accidently swallowed some mash wash?

MouthWash?: Although some mouthwashes contain alcohol, swallowing a small amount should not cause you significant harm. However, in general, mouthwash should be swished and spit out. ...Read more

20

20
I accidentally swallowed a strawberry whole. Is this bad?

I accidentally swallowed a strawberry whole. Is this bad?

Strawberry: I agree w dr. Wright. If you were going to aspirate it (have it drop into your actual airway) you would have known immediately. It is important to masticate (chew) your food well before swallowing. It is safer & begins the digestion process. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer