Top
10
Doctor insights on: Sulfite Sensitivity

Share
1

1
Since having a baby, I have a rxn to alcohol with one sip w/ in minutes. Allergist said prob. Sulfite sensitivity. Don't react to any other sulfites ?

Since having a baby, I have a rxn to alcohol with one sip w/ in minutes. Allergist said prob. Sulfite sensitivity. Don't react to any other sulfites ?

Could be: It may be a reaction to sulfite if your reaction mostly happens with wine and not other forms of alcoholic drinks. It can also be a sensitivity to alcohol itself, if you react to all alcoholic drinks, some individuals can break out in hives from it. ...Read more

2

2
What are sulfites/preservatives for wine?

Sulfites: Some red wines produce sulfites as a byproduct and can cause nasal congestion, flushing and headache. Interestingly, some red wines from the south of france do not have them and you can drink them without such side effects. ...Read more

3

3
What is sulfites? If I'm allergic to sulfur does that mean I'm allergic to sulfites

What is sulfites? If I'm allergic to sulfur does that mean I'm allergic to sulfites

No: Sulfa ( short for sulfonamide) is a common allergy to a class of drugs. Sulfites are additives in wines and some foods. Some people are allergic but these two allergies are not related. Nobody is allergic to sulfur. It is a common element in virtually every food we eat, all our amino acids and all the important chemicals in our body. Sulfa, sulfites, sulfur... Sound the same but no relation ...Read more

4

4
Can sulfites in liquor cause face swelling?

Can sulfites in liquor cause face swelling?

Yes: Many people are allergic to a variety of preservative agents, particularly sulfites and bisulfites, which are found in many forms of distilled spirits. Facial swelling can be one of the symptoms, and more severe symptoms can occur with continued exposure. I would avoid whatever liquor caused this, and stay away from many wines as well. An allergist would be your best advisor. ...Read more

5

5
I eat dried fruit each day. What do the sulfites do inside a person's body, and why do some people say sulfites are bad?

I eat dried fruit each day. What do the sulfites do inside a person's body, and why do some people say sulfites are bad?

Ignorance, mostly...: Sulfites are added to dried fruits to keep them from turning brown; they occur naturally in some things, e.g. Wine & beer. Contrary to popular perception, sulfiting agents are not teratogenic, mutagenic, or carcinogenic - but you can be allergic to them. The fda puts them in the category of "generally regarded as safe." so if you're not allergic to them, eat your dried fruit and don't worry. ...Read more

6

6
Can sulfites damage the heart?

Can sulfites damage the heart?

In what way?: There are sulfites in wine which are not harmful. Of course too much of anything will kill you - that includes water and oxygen. ...Read more

9

9
Do sulfites in food cause gastrointestinal distress?

Do sulfites in food cause gastrointestinal distress?

They could: Sulfites are compounds that might occur naturally, or be added to enhance flavor or improve preservation. About 1 in 100 people are sensitive to sulfites -- and these might experience GI distress after eating them. The sensitivity can develop at any time. ...Read more