Doctor insights on:
Sick Accidentally Ate
Accidentally ate a really mouldy cinnamon roll (white mould)! Dangerous? If I was to get sick, how long would it take from eating the mould?
Possible: The danger is small, but real, as a small number of mould species produce toxins called mycotoxins (fungal toxins). Even if present, unless conditions were just right, no toxins may have been formed. Most cases recognized have occurred by ingestion of foods made from contaminated grains. So, it is unlikely that you will have any ill effects, impossible to say when. ...Read more
I just accidentally ate tostinos Queso cheese dip that was opened and not refrigerated for about 2 to 3 weeks. Is this going to make me sick?
Well: Well not the best idea! It will depend on how the cheese is made. I simulator the you will be ok for you did not notice the cheese was moldy or foul tasting Time will tell. But don't do it again ...Read more
Accidentally ate a bite of really moldy organic bagel. Mold was blue/whiteish? How soon will I have symptoms (which?) if I get sick? What to do next?
Moldy Bread: It is unlikely you will get sick from this. If you do it would be a self limited nausea and perhaps vomiting. Drink some milk and other fluids you should be fine. ...Read more
I'm allergic to shellfish, and I accidentally ate shrimp last night, and it is 11:15 the next morning and I still feel ill. How long should this last?
Up to 4 days: It May last 1-4 days- max 4days as it takes that much time for food to get out of your system completely ...Read more
If I accidentally ate a piece of moldy white bread, will drinking apple cider vinegar counteract that and keep me from getting sick?
Bad bread: It may but it's doubtful that moldy bread will do much to you anyway ...Read more
Is it possible to get sick if my outdoor cat (who eats mice) accidentally got saliva/nasal excretions in my food and I ate it? I noticed she was drooling after jumping on me, so some of the saliva may have gotten in my food. (Is Hantavirus possible?)
Probably OK: Unless you drank a lot, you're probably okay. ...Read more
Probably NOT: Kids can accidentally swallow tiny spiders while playing outdoors. The amount of venom in a tiny bug should not be a problem if swallowed and digested, or if rolled around in the mouth and spit out. A big poisonous spider biting a kid inside his mouth would be bad. If a kid chomped on a spider, it's possible that venom could be absorbed in the mouth; but in the stomach, acid should disable venom. ...Read more
I accidentally took a bite or two of a very stale moldy graham cracker. I didn't eat the whole cracker. Will this make me sick? Freaking out.
Not seriously: It is unlikely that you will have more than a mild case of food poisoning or gastrointestinal discomfort. Most food molds are not the cause of disease but rather toxins from pathogenic bacteria that may accompany them. Report to your dr if you experience more than a mild diarrhea ...Read more
Accidentally drank old bottled water. It was first opened (and drank from) a month ago. Will I get sick? What should I do?
I accidentally took two acid reducer pills within two hours that were meant to be taken 12 hours apart. Will I get sick from it?
Little or no risk: If someone with a cold, flu, or a gastrointestinal infection had very recently used the doorknob, there might be a slight risk but extremely unlikely. I'm wondering if you're a germophobe, i.e. abnormally fearful of contamination. If such fear dominates your life, consider counseling. It can be an early sign of serious mental health disability -- rent "The Aviator" to see where this can lead. ...Read more
Just for reference, do you get sick if you accidentally swallow a piece of thread? What most likely will happened to you?
Nothing: Most likely no effectGet a more detailed answer ›
I accidentally broke a small light bulb today. Apparently if it contained mercury it can give you gastroenteritis. Am I going to get sick now?
Mercury is contained in the newer CFL bulbs, the ones that look like this picture. It is not present in significant amounts in older bulbs. If you got it on your hands, you should wash them well with water and follow the clean-up instructions here:
Mercury can harm young children and unborn babies. It's generally harmful to others only in large amounts. ...Read more
Just for reference, do you get sick if you accidentally swallow a piece of thread? What most likely will happened to you? Please help. Am I in danger?
The piece of thread: Will most likely pass through your system. Now - if you ate a whole spool of thread- that might cause a bezoar and be a different matter. You will most likely be fine. ...Read more
I want to die. I'm so sick of wanting to die. I'm sick of trying to accidentally on purpose overdose. My therapist knows&trusts me2b ok&i'm not. Help?
You may not get sick: It depends on the state of meat before you ate. If the meat was from a healthy animal that was slaughtered and processed hygienically, you may not suffer any ill-effects. If these conditions are not met, illnesses range from gastro-enterititis within hours to parasitic infestations that may take years to express. ...Read more
Someone sat their naked bum on my pillow and it left a smell - then I slept on it accidentally. Am I going to get sick?
My girlfriend accidentally licked a slug that crawled on her beer can at a barbeque. She's really scared. Can she get sick?
Licking a Slug: Most likely not. That sounds like it should be a youtube video. ...Read more
Bottom of pan scrapped off and was cooked in gravy accidentally, not sure what its made of. Made myself throw up to be safe. Could this make me sick?
Do not worry: This cooking mishap is not going to affect your health. You may do more harm by try to throw up. Let it be, the indigestible material will go out with other waste. ...Read more
I accidentally took a second dose of my Levothyroxin prescription 50 mcg, today a few minutes apart. Will I get sick, or any symptoms to be aware of?
Peroxyl ingestion: Peroxyl (1.5% hydrogen peroxide antiseptic original mint) is made to be put into your mouth. With any intra-oral application it is always expected that some will go down your digestive tract. There is no need to worry about grandma getting sick. ...Read more
My brother has had a headache and fever for 2 days. I accidentally drank from his cup. Will I become sick too?
Maybe: Depends upon how soon after he drank from it, whether it was washed first. If he has a viral illness, hand washing and avoiding intimate contact will minimize your risk of getting infected, but classically these illnesses pass through members of the same household with regularity, and the drinking cup may or may not make any difference. ...Read more
I accidentally drank out of a water bottle with a bunch of white and grey mold in it. Will I get sick? Should I be concerned?
I accidentally took 500x the recommended amount of vitamin b-6. Is this dangerous? I've been doing it for three days and gotten sick.
Only if continued:
B6 is the only b vitamin known to be toxic, but one has to take at least 250 mg (and usually at least 500 mg) a day for several months before this occurs; the problem it causes is peripheral neuropathy and it is reversible after you stop it.
See http://ods. Od.Nih. Gov/factsheets/vitaminb6-healthprofessional/. ...Read more
Boil water order in neighborhood. Accidentally turned water on hands for split second. Washed hands with bottle water and soap 2x. Will I get sick?
I accidentally got some snow in my mouth while having a snowball fight. The snow was from the ground so it wasn't clean. Will I get sick with this? : (
Probably not: This sort of thing happens to people when ever they are having snow fights or other kinds of mud fights or such. Your mouth is not a clean place. It has a lot of organisms. That is why a bite causes so many infections. I would not worry too much about a little snow during a snow fight you're fine ...Read more