Doctor insights on:
Should All Children Have Their Tonsils Removed
I removed a tonsil stone last night. Will the whole left behind ever close? Im worried that every time I eat food will get in it.
Is it common for children to sweat a lot whilst sleeping whether its during the day or night. My 4yr old had her tonsils and adeniods removed a wk ago?
When necessary: There is no automatic age for tonsil removal & it is best not to remove them if it can be avoided. Toddlers or children with sleep apnea, or children with chronic recurrent tonsillitis at any age may benefit from removal. Kids with one episode of a tonsilar abscess also benefit from excision. Symptom progression and exam findings individualize timing for each case. ...Read more
Depends: It depends on why the tonsils are enlarged, and how the child is being affected. A lot of children have large tonsils when compared to adults, and nothing needs to be done. If the child is having sleep apnea and snoring, then the tonsils may need to be removed. If the tonsils are temporarily enlarged secondary to a viral or bacterial illness, then medical treatment maybe needed. ...Read more
What can cause obstructive sleep apnea in children that already have their adenoids & tonsils out?
Hard to say: I wouldn't think about a "look" of strep in the throat. It can be hard to predict sometimes by looking. Instead, if a child has a sore throat with a fever in the absence of cold symptoms like cough and runny nose, they should be checked for strep. Whether or not they have tonsils, they can also have headache, abdominal pain, vomiting and/or rashes. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
ENT Dr, can evaluate: The more common reasons for getting tonsils removed are: snoring, sleep apnea, frequent tonsil infections, and persistently enlarged tonsils with "crypts", which are holes containing pieces of firm whitish stuff. An ENT doctor (otorhinolaryngologist - ear nose throat doctor) can evaluate and make recommendations. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Should adults have their tonsils removed
- My child has pandas should he have his tonsils removed
- How can i get tonsil stones after having my tonsils removed?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How often do you have to have tonsillitis before they should be removed?
- What should i do about my hair loss after having my ovaries removed at age 35?
- Can you request to have your tonsils removed?
- Why do people have their gallbladder removed?
- Talk to a pediatrician online