Doctor insights on:
Safe Nail Polish
Not necessary: Probable won't but remember kids can put their toes in their mouth. ...Read more
Nail polish: I don't believe there is any problem with led. However, some nail polishes may contain formaldehyde, toluene and dibutyl phthalate which are highly toxic. ...Read more
Yes: Yes.Get a more detailed answer ›
Is it safe to have my one year old daughter around fumes like....Nail polish, nail polish remover etc.
Numerous chemicals are in nail polish and the chemicals vary with the different products e.g. Nirocellulose, ethyl acetate, resins, plasticizers, solvent, coloring agents, adhesive poymers, formaldehydes, camphor, pigments, thickening agents, toluene, sylene and the list goes on and on.
Anyone using nail polish should use products from companies that formulate responsibly and have a good reputation. ...Read more
Potentially danger!: Have you been sniffing the fumes? Unlike clorox fumes, nail polish is made from petroleum distillates which can be extremely toxic to your brain among other things. Always use in a well ventilated area and keep your nose out of the bottle! ...Read more
Death: "huffing" can cause fatal cardiac arrhythmias and sudden death. ...Read more
If nail polish is hazardous as most doctors claim, how often should I apply it without taking the risk?
0....: Your nails are beautiful......in the natural form. ...Read more
Why do my nails hurt (feel like they got hit with a hammer!) after I take off nail polish after having worn it a few days? Takes a few hrs to kick in.
Irritant?: If your nails only hurt after you removed the polish, I would suspect that remover is irritating them. ...Read more
No: White nail polish is not formulated for oral use. It will not adhere in a moist environment, it is toxic, and it can damage your oral soft tissue. Do not use in oral environment. Your local dentist will know best what is clinically right for your teeth. Many dentists have a 'no charge' consult. Take care... ...Read more
Not the good polish: An underlying nail fungus is usually the culprit, and using nail polish may exacerbate the fungus. Most good polishes will not harm the nails, and in fact can act as a protectant. ...Read more
No: There are potentially toxic materials in SOME nail polishes, toluene, formaldehyde and DBP. The industry has been moving away from these chemicals and coming up with non toxic formulations. Nail polish manufactured in the United States does not have lead. There has been lead found in polish from Taiwan. ...Read more
Swallowing dried: Nail polish is not good. If you do a tiny bit by accident no worries. If you have a habit of doing that you can poison yourself. That habit may be some OCD that you need treatment for. Start w/a visit to your doctor. Peace and good health. ...Read more