Doctor insights on:
Safe Donate Blood Thalassemia
Thal trait: Maybe. Full disease no.Get a more detailed answer ›
If someone with thalassemia trait were to donate blood, would the recipients of that blood be carriers?
No: The donated blood does not alter the recipients system in the long term.The blood cells each have a lifespan approaching 90-100 days after release, then they are broken down in the body and recycled. Blood donation helps a patient catch up with blood losses in the short term and provide stability of the system while it heals. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Maybe: With thalassemia trait your hemoglobin level may be too low to qualify for donating blood.The trait does not disqualify you based on listings of various donation center sites.You do have to have to meat other age and health requirements. Look up some info at the carter blood care center site or the american red cross. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
If anemic, no: The red cross won't let people who are anemic donate blood. People are checked for anemia at their screening for blood donation, and if your hemoglobin is less than 12.5 they will not allow you to donate blood. Not everyone with beta thalassemia trait is anemic, so there is a chance that you may pass the screening. However, if you know that you often have a low hemoglobin, expect to be turned away. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Possible: It mainly depends on the status of anemia at the time when the individual with Alpha thalassemia minor present at donation (hemoglobin higher than 12.5 or hematocrit at 38 or higher). You also need to comply to other criteria as qualified blood donor which vary between states in the us. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can i donate blood if i have alpha thalassemia trait?
- Can a person wtih alpha thalassemia trait donate blood?
- Can i donate blood if i have anemia thalassemia beta trait?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Donate blood anemia thalassemia trait
- If you have hpv can you donate blood
- Is mucinex dm safe for high blood pressure?
- Whats a safe blood pressure level for a 45 year old women
- Talk to a pediatrician online