Doctor insights on:
Yes -- if vaporized: If poison ivy is burned, the oils vaporize, and you breathe it in -- yes, you can have internal poison ivy reactions which could be very dangerous. Sometimes this can happen accidentally, like when clearing a yard in winter, that you don't realize has poison ivy vines on trees, etc. (i've seen it happen.) poison ivy just on your skin will not "spread" internally, though. ...Read moreSee 3 more doctor answers
Toxic ingestion (also called "poisoning") is a condition in which a person has eaten or drank a substance that causes ill symptoms or damage to his body. Taking an overdose of a medicine, taking any dose of a poison, drinking too much vodka, or accidentally drinking antifreeze . . . are all ...Read more
Yes: Lighteners containing mercury are banned in the US, but some lighteners manufactured in Asia and other foreign countries do contain mercury. If the concentration is high enough and it is applied often, mercury poisoning is a real possibility. Avoid any topical product that contains mercury. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Depends: There is so much to say on this topic. Mercury is difficult to get rid of... Each person has a different situation depending on dna, immune system and level of mercury load. My website, www.Fourseasonsfentalspa.Com has more information on this topic than i can leave here in this limited space. Use search both for questions also www.Iaomt.Org has information on this topic. ...Read more
What exactly is sun poisoning? I am told sun poisoning is sunburn. What exactly is sun poisoning?
Yes it is: If food is contaminated by salmonella, anyone who eats that food can become ill. Also it can be transmitted person-to-person by the fecal-oral route. Strict hand-washing is needed. Also keeping raw meat, etc separate from other foods is wise -- as is having separate cutting boards, etc. http://tinyurl.com/k8894u5. ...Read more
Malaise, low fever: Sun poisoning refers to the illness caused by sunburn on a large area of the body. In addition to the pain of the sunburn, there is fatigue and malaise, plus a low grade fever. Treatment for the burn can include skin moisturizers and loose fitting clothes. Ibuprofen (motrin, advil, (ibuprofen) etc.) can help with the fever, pain, and malaise. Don't forget to drink plenty of fluids too. ...Read more
Ate marshmallows roasted w/ fake fire log. Company says 'non toxic waxes' "california proposition 65... By-products known to cause cancer." concern?
Once?: If you did this once, it is probably not a problem. But burning those fake fire logs in the house often may increase your risk. There are a lot of other ways to decrease your cancer risk, so this is probably not a big deal. Eat healthy, avoid stress, get plenty of rest. These are your best bets for decreasing your risk of cancer. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
No: Diferent symptoms, different set of germs, different mechanism of disease, different means of infection. Swine flu has fever, cough, profound fatigue, transmitted by droplet/respiratory, i.e. Cough, or exposure to virus on surfaces like doorknobs. Food poisoning/gastroenteritis can be viral, bacterial. Usually requires ingestion, but surface exposure can do it too. Wash hands, use purell type. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Reaction to skin product 6wks ago, redness, open pores, dehydration, >melasma.Still ntermittently red/burning&dry. Could this be phytophotodermatitis? Oils included mandarin, carrot seed. Scared its perm
Won't help much: If you are referring to sunburn, steroid creams don't help much as the damage is already done. Plus, this is a fairly strong steroid; you can't just put it anywhere! if you are referring to sun allergies such as polymorphic light eruption (pmle), steroid creams can help treat. If you mean solar urticaria (hives), creams don't work as well as antihistamines. For pmle or hives, see your doctor! ...Read more
Bact toxin illness: Ingesting preformed toxin produced by staphylococcus, not detroyed by cooking; tasteless. Likely foods are creamy, mayonnaise type, e.g. Potato salad, cole slaw. Onset of symptoms in 1-8 hours. Feverish, lots of vomiting, cramps, may have diarrhea as well. Feels awful, lasts 24-48 hrs. Rx fluids, avoid dehydration, anti spasm meds may be needed. Not contagious. Wash your hands preparing food. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Ixodes scapularis: Of concerned with Deer ticks is Lyme Disease. Lyme disease is caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi and is transmitted to humans through the bite of infected blacklegged ticks. Typical symptoms include fever, headache, fatigue, and a characteristic skin rash called erythema migrans ( ...Read more