Doctor insights on:
Morels: There are many health benefits from mushrooms but the specifics depending on what kind of mushroom it is. I will talk about what is most often called a morel. However, when we foraged for them in the blue ridge mountains as a child we called them merkels. They contain antioxidants and are reported to aid liver health. They contain fiber, vitamin d, potassium & iron. They are delicious (cont'd).
Shitaki mushrooms: Http://www. Whfoods. Com/genpage. Php? Dbid=122&tname=foodspiceGet a more detailed answer ›
Oh, yes: "maitake" means "dancing" -- ancient japanese people apparently danced with joy when finding these mushrooms. For thousands of years, healers have used them in tonics, soups, teas, prepared foods, and herbal formulas to promote health and long life. Researchers are now studying the medicinal effects of mushrooms on the immune system, cancer, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels.
Could be: Commercial mushrooms come from safe sources. If you are into foraging for them, either you must be an expert or do this with an expert. Some like morels are easy to identify but others can be difficult and mushroom poisoning is something you would rather not acquire.
No: Commercial mushrooms added to food makes them more palatable and interesting. Mushrooms from this source have few nutrients however. Be careful about harvesting your own as there are some seriously poisonous varieties growing wild. In general, however, mushrooms are neither bad nor good in the usual sense of these words.
Not to the mushroom: I'm sure the mushroom might be offended if it knew that it had such a bad rap with humans....but to answer your question, they are currently not used medicinally because of their high potential for abuse and addiction. They cause changes in mental status and cognition and therefore, I would advise against their use as harm can come to you or others while under their influence. Try rhubarb instead.See 1 more doctor answer
Psilocybin: "magic mushrooms" contain a chemical called psilocybin, which is a natural hallucinogen (similar to lsd, which is synthetic). You can read warnings about it here: http://tinyurl. Com/9gxhsdz and lots more info, some of it very subjective and even positive here: http://tinyurl. Com/4f7qh like all powerful mind-altering drugs, psilocybin can be very dangerous depending on the circumstances.See 1 more doctor answer
Some can: Amanita phalloides and others (a. Virosa, a. Verna, a. Bisporigera, galerina autumnalis, g. Marginata, g. Venenata, lepiota helveola) are associated with potentially fatal hepatitis. These are fairly uncommon varieties and wouldn't be found in stores. In general, wild mushrooms should not be consumed.
Hallucinations: Used recreationally, hallucinogenic mushrooms can lead to psychosis, intense fear, and panic. Doses are extremely variable, and can be too high. In contained therapeutic situations, research is being done with more moderate doses of the active compound, psilocybin. Some participants spoke of a mystical experience of sacred connectedness. For some, positive change. Http://tinyurl. Com/8o33k5a.
It depends: What mushroom, how much, in what context (the person taking it, age, medical conditions, why used etc) are all elements required to fairly answer that question. I don't think, however, just because something is psychodelic, it means it is bad for you, but that opinion is unfortunately not widely held in our current american culture. This brings up the legal concerns regarding use.
Not realistically: There is a hydrazine derivative in some mushrooms called agaritine that binds to DNA and in ridiculously high doses produces cancer in a few animal models. I know no bioscientist who avoids mushrooms. Such chemicals are ubiquitous and unavoidable. Orange juice and pepper contain similar stuff and so does your own feces. Enjoy life without troubling yourself over minuscule risks.
Dangers are Real.: The effects of mushrooms (psilocybin) vary significantly on their strength & purity. It is difficult to know much active material you are using. The significant issues occur when they are taken in large amt's.They have potential to cause nausea, vomiting, cramping, abdominal pain, diarrhea, ^ blood pressure, ^ heart rate, impaired judgment, dizziness, anxiety & flashbacks, numbness, dizziness >.See 1 more doctor answer
No: Misidentification is a huge problem in mushroom ingestion. Psilocybin ("magic") mushrooms in 4-8 mg doses produce mostly mental and physical relaxation, a sense of separateness from surroundings, mild euphoria, and perceptual distortions. Some people experience profound insights about their lives. Nausea & vomiting indicate your mushrooms are poisonous ones misidentified as psilocybin.
Not sure what u mean: Do you mean from a nutritional standpoint? There are many differences in the two in nutrition (and there are many types of mushrooms). Mushrooms generally are very low in calories, but that also depends on how they are prepared. They also have much less protein than meat. They are commonly used as a meat "replacement" in vegetarian dishes more for their texture and flavor similarities to meat.
Depends: On what you are really getting. When it comes to herbal substances, especially in the US where they are essentially unregulated, you never know what you are getting. Even more so with illicit plant drugs like peyote, mescaline and psilocibin (which is the active ingredient in most 'magic' mushrooms). Bad trips with psychosis and flashbacks, anticholinergic effects -dry mouth, blurred vision etc.
Get medical help.: Certain types of wild mushrooms such as amanita smithiana, cortinarius orellanus, mycena pura, and omphalatus orarius can be mistaken for edible mushrooms. These mushrooms contain toxins that can cause kidney failure. If you feel you may have ingested wild mushrooms and still have not voided, seek medical attention for history, physical, and laboratory testing.