Doctor insights on:
Many: Some plants cause surface issues like poison ivy. Others like jimson weed contain chemicals that can cause toxicity to the body. The list is long and basically do not eat anything unless you are confident of its origin. Included in this list are some mushrooms that are highly toxic. ...Read more
Poisonous plant splinter? I was gardening today and removing expired delphinium (i think) and had a splinter from the dried plant stalk pierce straight down into my finger rather than sort of sideways, as splinters usually do. I realized i had a splinter
If : If a patient has this occur with such a long splinter, then has pain and swelling, infection is a concern. Applying warm compresses, washing vigorously, applying anti-bacterial ointment, and taking advil are probably methods you have already tried. If it is still painful, red, red streaks, or swollen, then consult with your physician for further evaluation. ...Read more
Yes: Eating poinsettia leaves can cause nausea and vomiting in adults and children. (as can cedar bark and pyracantha.) the sap can cause an allergic rash. Definite poisonous holiday plants include mistletoe, holly, amaryllis, daffodils, jerusalem cherry, and lilies. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Too many to list: There are a multitude of plants that have toxic parts that if eaten will create problems. It's a good idea to know what is in your yard and investigate the specifics. A great resource is the texas poison cotrol page at www.Poisoncontrol.Org also 1-800-222-1222. The page has a search feature with plant photo's to help you identify common plants of interest. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Pokeweed: phytolaccatoxinGet a more detailed answer ›
Yes: Dieffenbachia ( Common name : Dumb Cane, leopard Lilly ) is a type of house plant with large, colorful leaves. Poisoning can occur if you eat the leaves, stalk, or root of this plant. The plant has oxalic acid and Asparagine which are both poisonous. Have poison control center handy at all times:1800-222-1222. ...Read more
Poisonous: Elephant eat plants contain high concentrations of oxalic acid. Eating the leaves and stems causes irritation and severe burning in the mouth, lips and gastrointestinal tract. The mouth, tongue, throat and esophagus will begin to swell, which can cut off the victim's airway. Vomiting, nausea and diarrhea can occur too. Emergency care is needed if pets or people eat this plant. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I live in Florida, saw snake the other day, wasn't poisonous though, what should I do if a poisonous one bites me?
Snake bite first aid: Remain calm. Call 911. Immobilize the bitten arm or leg, and move as little as possible, remove jewelry before you start to swell. Position yourself, so that the bite is at or below the level of your heart. Clean the wound, but don't flush it with water. Apply a splint to reduce movement. DO NOT APPLY A TOURNIQUET OR ICE, DO NOT SUCK OUT THE VENOM. Check MEDLINE PLUS for more information. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can i use aloe vera plant on my face?
- Orange seeds poisonous
- Medicinal plant kulekhara
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Is pencil lead poisonous?
- Health benefits of the jamaican tuna plant
- Are pomegranate seeds poisonous?
- Is whey protein plant based?
- Rashes from poisonous plants