Doctor insights on:
Pneumonia Leaking Heart Valve
A valve is a structure that regulates the direction of flow. The heart is a special kind of pump. It moves blood by squeezing and relaxing. There are 4 chambers and each chamber has a valve. This keeps blood from moving backwards when the heart squeezes. When a chamber squeezes it lets the blood move forward but when the chamber is relaxed it prevents the blood from ...Read more
My mother has congestive heart failure, leaky heart valve and pneumonia she is hospitalized is there anything that can be done what is live expectancy?
Valve: 'Leaking' heart valves are valves with don't close properly. There are various causes of this problem. It can be inherited or acquired. Acquired types include infections and heart damage from inflammatory and ischemic and toxic processes. Structural abnormalities of the muscle or degeneration of valve tissue can also cause the problem. There are too many potential causes to list all here. ...Read more
Sometimes: Nothing available for the mitral or tricuspid valves yet, but the aortic valve can be replaced with a transcatheter inserted valve. This is not for everyone though. It is still considered rather experimental, and reserved only for those who are unable to have open heart surgery. I look forward to advances in these procedures, and hope one day there is a routine, non-ohs alternative. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can you get pneumonia from leaking heart valve?
- Smoking with a leaking heart valve
- Symptoms of leaking heart valve
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Leaking heart valve
- I have a leaking heart valve
- What are the symptoms of a leaking heart valve?
- Which medicine is used for a leaking heart valve
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free