Doctor insights on:
Penicillium Aspergillus Symptoms
If allergic, yes: Aspergillus and penicillium molds (fungi) are very common and pose no threat to the healthy person. People prone to allergies can develop allergic disorders to these molds including allergic rhinitis, asthma, hypersensitivity pneumonitis, abpa. Persons with poor immunity (immune suppressed or compromised) can be at risk for infections. ...Read more
Depends: If kids are allergic to it or if there are excessively high levels in your home than it can cause problems. If it is incidentally present in your home at levels lower than outdoors, than it is probably not worrisome. If you are really concerned see a board certified allergist. ...Read more
I have what I consider a large amount of aspergillus/penicillium in my house and I have young kids. What are the health risks if we are healthy?
Molds: Are ubiquitous, especially aspergillus and penicillium, present indoors and outdoors. If you believe u got an overload, you may want to clean your environment and keep it dry as much as you can. As for health effects, we are all exposed, the problem develops when our immune system can't have it anymore and starts reacting, this happens even with expected loads of molds present around us, wish u wellness ...Read more
I was exposed to penicillium aspergillus (they can't distinguish between them) what are the chances I was exposed to carcinogens?
Listen friend: Please forgive my frankness. There are carcinogens everywhere. They're in your stool. They're in the natural radioactivity of your own body. It's a fact of life. These molds are ubiquitous. People who eat a lot of very moldy peanuts are at extra risk for liver cancer. You're not. And you'll spoil the quality of your own life by reading "scare" stuff and not living fully. Don't do this to yourself ...Read more
Aspergillus/Penicillium mold in home fort past 15 years. What health effects should I be concerned about & can it be treated & are any fatal?
Many, yes, no:
You may have no or many problems from this. If you're allergic to molds you'll get sinus symptoms, asthma etc. Even if not allergic if there is a lot of mold you may get toxic from mold spores causing fatigue, headaches, muscle/joint pain, poor memory/concentration etc.
Most can clear mold toxins so feel better after a few days away. 1/4 can't clear toxins so need Rx. See
https://tinyurl. Com/9vvdfoe ...Read more
I was exposed over a period of 9 months to aspergillus/penicillium. My lungs are fine but I'm worried about the possible carcinogenic effects. Thanks?
Don't worry: Those molds are ubiquitous, indoors and outdoors, we are all exposed, some people develop hypersensitivity to their spores of different degrees, hence the development of allergy symptoms, or a reaction to colonization in certain individuals, which isn't your case. Aspergillus and penicillium are rather useful in some instances, in producing some antibiotics, best wishes ...Read more
Can someone describe the relationship between candida and mold exposure such as mycotoxins and aspergillus/penicillium?
I have been exposed to aspergillius, cladosrorium, and pennicillium mold long term. And now that I am away my smell is sensitive...Is my body healing?
Not sure: Mold can cause allergies in people sensitized so it would depend on your allergic sensitization. Otherwise if you are not allergic to them then it is hard to predict how being around it or away from it would affect you. ...Read more
Aspergillus: A common mold that sometimes has the potential to invade humans. Most likely it causes allergic symptoms but sometimes can invade lungs and the nervous system, espeically on those with reduced immune function. ...Read more
See below: There are 3 main types of diseases caused by aspergillus sp. Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis, aspergilloma and invasive pulmonary aspergillosis. ...Read more
Not really: Nobody suddenly becomes allergic to anything. Aspergillus commonly grows in damp, water-damaged homes. Several weeks or months of exposure to aspergillus is typically what induces allergy. ...Read more
Aspergilus: Fumigatus is a fungus, present everywhere, indoors and outdoors, more in damp/humid areas, some people are allergic to its microscopic size spores, the allergic inflammation itself is what causes the problem either in the upper airways (nasal cavity and sinuses) or the lower airways (bronchi), ranges from simple to severe inflammation with different symptoms, and isn't contagious ...Read more
Aspergillus: There are many types of aspergillus. For those born to be allergic (about 20 to 30% of us) some forms of this mold are commonly found outdoors as well as indoors. If that is one the molds that you are allergic to realize that it is the second most common allergy (after dust mites). Reducing molds at home can be partially accomplished. Http://www. Idph. State. Il.us/envhealth/factsheets/mold_reducing_. ...Read more
Moldy areas: Aspergillus is a mold and would be found in damp areas. Indoors it may be found it wet basements, areas where a roof might have leaked, or in wet soil in potted plants. Outdoors it may be found in mulch, piles of leaves or shady areas. ...Read more
No: Aspergillus is a common fungus and the vast majority of individuals have no reaction or infection to aspergillus. Allergies to aspergillus mold are fairly common triggering allergic rhinitis and asthma. Some individuals become sensitized and have more problems with it like those with cystic fibrosis or abpa. People with immune suppression can become infected and it can be very serious. ...Read more
Molds like Aspergillus thrive when there are
* water *stagnant air * nutrient (especially wood fiber).
Damaged dry wall, carpeting, and particle board etc must be removed. Keep house well ventilated and wipe off pooled water. Clorox may kill the molds but without the preventive measures, they will come back. ...Read more
Yes: Piriteze=cetirizine 10mg =Zyrtec, is a very good antihistamine. It helps with any allergy. You don't mention what symptoms you have. If it is nasal allergy (hay fever), it will definitely help. If you have asthma with a condition called allergic bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis or allergic fungal sinusitis, then the treatment is totally different, and you need to see a board-certified allergist. ...Read more
Through nose/mouth: This is a ubiquitous fungus present indoors and outdoors, everybody is exposed, some people though mount an immune response against it, actually it isn't an infection, rather a colonization that leads to exaggerated immune response which gives rise to the bothersome symptoms ...Read more
Depends on the condition: If it is allergic rhinosinusitis or asthma due to increased sensitivity to such allergens, then avoidance, medical therapy and ultimately immunotherapy would be the treatment. If other conditions due to severe reaction to aspergillus in particular, or aspergillosis, either affecting upper or lower airways, so treatment is more extensive and rigorous follow up, wish you wellness ...Read more
It produces a toxin: Aspergillus flavian produces aflatoxin, which is well-known to contribute to the development of liver cancer. The toxin is produced when grains or nuts contaminated with the fungus are stored improperly in moist conditions for a long time. Aflatoxin works together with hepatitis b in china and africa to raise the rate of liver cancer. It is not generally considered an important issue in the us. ...Read more
Several choices: Three classes of antifungal agents are available for the treatment of invasive aspergillosis: polyenes, azoles, and echinocandins. Historically, Amphotericin B was the major antifungal drug used in patients. Currently, the drug of choice for invasive aspergillosis is voriconazole, which can be replaced with lipid formulations of Amphotericin B in intolerant patients. ...Read more
I have been diagnosed with allergies to Dreschlera mold & Aspergillus Fumigatis mold. Due to these allergies, are there now antibiotics I should avoid or could be allergic to?
Unlikely.: The fungi and molds that cause disease and environmental allergies are not at all closely related to antibiotics. Mold-based antibiotic production has mostly given way to synthetic production, and there are a lot more "parts" of a fungus to which one can be allergic than just the antimicrobial part. Avoid unnecessary antibiotics as a rule; don't avoid any specific ones based on this new info. ...Read more
Good question: Better be cautious, even if you consumed the blue cheese before, but mind you, allergy to amoxicllin, or to any drug, at times is rather a side effect not a true allergy, rash developing if you have viral illness and receive amoxicllin can be interpreted as allergic reaction, at any rate, try to avoid the blue cheese, keep an antihistaminic and an epinephrine pen handy, till you see an allergist ...Read more
Please help docs! Where do I go to get help on mold spores I am allergic to that are aspergillus, cladasporin, and mucor?
An allergist?: Allergist is specialized in diagnosing and treating environmental allergies including mold allergies. ...Read more