Doctor insights on:
Pediatric Fleet Enema
Impaction?: It's possible that you have an impaction so hard and stuck up there that even the Fleet enema did not touch it and therefore the only thing that came back out was the enema itself. Otherwise, I would really expect your stool to be some shade of brown. I am wondering what the consistency of it was? Liquid? You may need to see your doctor for a specialist referral and other advanced options. ...Read more
Briefly: Fleets enemas work by causing distension of the rectum, leading to evacuation of the contents of the rectum. If you have had a fecal impaction, you may have loose stools for a day or two. A sensitivity to the chemicals in the fleets may cause a mild inflammation in the rectum that should resolve over a brief time. Any continued symptoms may warrant an evalustion by a doctor. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Fecal disimpaction: Enema liquids are widely varied: fleets is a brand of a chemical called phosphosoda or sodium phosphate. Coffee, soap suds, tap water, glycerin, gastrograffin as well as other more rare liquids have been used. They all work by stimulating bowel contraction by stretching the colon, and softening the stool by adding water. Safest would be to just use tap water, 500-1000ml for up to 3 days. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long do the effects of a fleet enema last for?
- How often can you use a fleet enema?
- Can i safely use two fleet enemas within a few hours?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Give yourself fleet enema
- How is a mineral oil enema different from a fleet enema?
- What makes fleet enemas more effective than water or saline?
- Fleet enema anal fissure
- Talk to a pediatrician online