Doctor insights on:
Elevated prolactin: Besides certain medications, an elevated prolactin can be caused by pregnancy, nursing, liver disease, kidney disease and hypothyroidism. Also seen with significant nipple stimulation (sex, jogging). And then of course pituitary tumors. A pituitary tumor usually causes a significant elevation (>100). These tumors can be very small. Mild elevations of prolactin may not need treatment. ...Read more
High prolactin: Hi. High prolactin (PRL) is most often caused by a benign pituitary tumor that makes PRL. There are certain drugs that can cause hyperprolactinemia, such as anti-dopaminergic drugs and narcotics. Your gender isn't stated. If you're a woman, it can make your periods cease (but at your age, menopause is knocking, so that must be considered). It can also cause breast milk not related to childbirth. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Prolactin: First confirm it is truly elevated by repeating the lab test and sending it to an endocrine reference lab. The best one is owned by labcorp -- called esoterix in california. Second if it's a woman check for pregnancy. Third perform an MRI with and without contrast of brain and pituitary gland. Fourth see a bd-cert endocrinologist for possible treatment. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Lower prolactin: Yes, bromocryptine is one traditional med.Get a more detailed answer ›
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can you get pregnant after high prolactin levels?
- Will you lose weight after treatment for high prolactin levels
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Foods that lower prolactin
- Hypersecretion of oxytocin
- Hyposecretion of oxytocin
- Do high prolactin levels lead to breast cancer?
- Talk to a obstetrician and gynecologist online