Doctor insights on:
Out Toeing Adults
4 yo walks with toes pointed out. More pronounced at times. Sits in "w" position which we discourage. Will he grow out of out-toeing?
Not to worry: "Children with in-toeing or out-toeing go on to have no limitations in their activities, from simple outdoor games to competitive sports. Therefore, although rotational problems may present some early challenges for children and parents alike, parents can expect their child to live a normal, active, and healthy life". Pl see attached link ...Read more
Born with pigeon toe: The old walkers are not safe and not made anymore because they are not safe. Too many toddlers fell down stairs. They were not known to cause pigeon toes. There are different causes ranging from twisted ankles or feet at birth to hips that grew onward at an older age. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Not really.: True mutism is a very serious response to what probably is a profound emotional/developmental problem. The symptom (mutism) may go away with time & circumstances, but it's unlikely that the underlying problem will leave forever without a trace. This condition warrants ongoing professional management and monitoring, for years. ...Read more
30-65% chance: Longitudinal studies lasting more than 20 years have shown that adhd resolves in about 35% of children. But if stimulant treatement is started before 7 yo, the risk of persisting into adulthood drops to 35%. In other words, if treatment is started early, instead of a 65% chance of still having adhd in adulthood, the risk drops to 35%. Good reason to treat early. ...Read moreSee 4 more doctor answers
Yes: Children bones are not a rigid as adults, and are covered by a layer of periosteum which acts as a sleeve. As a result, children can have fractures that are either incomplete (greenstick #) or undisplaced (due to the sleeve of periosteum). Since there is no obvious deformity, parents may not appreciate the extent of the injury. Xrays are necessary. ...Read more
I need statistics on aspergers syndrome. How many people have it (children, young adults, adults). ?
Not Well Established: The prevalence of asperger syndrome (as) is not well established. Experts estimate that as many as 1 in 88 children age 8 will have an autism spectrum disorder. No studies have yet been conducted to determine the incidence of asperger syndrome in adult populations, but studies of children with the disorder suggest that their problems with socialization and communication continue into adulthood. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
4 yo walks with toes pointed out. More pronounced at times. Sits in "w" position which we discourage. Will he grow out of out-toeing? Could it be CP?
See below: My advice is to see Pediatrician and then Podiatrist. If any neurological cause is suspected, then you will be referred to Neurologist. Sitting in a "W" position actually promotes in-toe( toes pointing inward) by internally rotating hips. The back, hips, knees, lower legs and feet should be examined. This often identifies any abnormalities. ...Read more
8 years old with flexible flat feet& over pronation. Is he going to outgrow the over pronation as he grows older?
Flat foot: No He should be worked up for flat foot including foot xrays, gait analysis, and orthotics to control pronation. Untreated flat foot leads to many problems as people get older. The sooner the better See a foot specialist that sees children. Good luck ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
It is possible.: Other fractures -- like skull, rib and long bones are more common. Regardless of the type of fracture, if you suspect child abuse, you should find a way to help that child.If necessary, contact the child's dr, or teacher, or a county child protective services agency. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Possibly: Genetic height potential is predicted as 1/2 the combined parental height + 2.5 inches for a boy and - 2.5 inches for a girl. If either parent had poor nutrition during important growth periods, a child could certainly exceed the basic height prediction based on a parents final height. If not, they are likely not to see much difference. ...Read more
Is developmental hip dysplasia common? Is 2-3 kids out of a 1000 common or considered rare? How often is developmental hip dysplasia missed?
Exactly how common is vp shunt independence? Will young people eventually outgrow the need for one as they grow older?
Shunt indepedence: A common asked question but a commonly unknown answer. Very few patients with shunts truly become independent, in my own experience it is probably only about 5%. There is a surgery, known as a iiird ventriculostomy where a hole can be made at the base of the brain to bypass the fluid obstruction - if successful the shunt can be removed but not all patients fulfill the criteria for this operation. ...Read more