Doctor insights on:
I brushed by (& touched) an Oleander plant bush outside near the sidewalk. Oleander is poison, right? What will happen to me or my stuff it touched?
Many: Some plants cause surface issues like poison ivy. Others like jimson weed contain chemicals that can cause toxicity to the body. The list is long and basically do not eat anything unless you are confident of its origin. Included in this list are some mushrooms that are highly toxic. ...Read more
No: Nightshade has a poisonous secretion which can be serious if ingested. But the presence of the plant, if undisturbed, is not a problem. Probably a good idea to have the plant removed if in your yard. ...Read more
Plant sources of Zn.: Foods high in phytates, which bind zinc and decrease its absorption include legumes and other sources of fiber. Nevertheless, they are still good sources of zinc and have many other health benefits which substantially outweigh the presence of phytates, (which also help prevent zinc overdose). Good sources of zinc and fiber include spinach, mushrooms, seeds, nuts, beans, peas, and whole grains. ...Read more
WHy plants ?: The real question is what not to do that slows down healing. Avoid using alcohol, peroxide, hibiclens, betadine, and bleach solutions. Inflammation ( red, hot, swollen, tender) is important to healing so anti-inflammatories (motrin, advil) are bad. Cover the area with a clean dressing changed every other day and protected from trauma. Antibiotics do not help healing unless it is truly infected. ...Read more
NO: If you are deficicient no plant is going to supply enough. ...Read more
Yes: Eating poinsettia leaves can cause nausea and vomiting in adults and children. (as can cedar bark and pyracantha.) the sap can cause an allergic rash. Definite poisonous holiday plants include mistletoe, holly, amaryllis, daffodils, jerusalem cherry, and lilies. ...Read moreSee 3 more doctor answers