Doctor insights on:
Oil For Atopic Dermatitis
Help severe patients: Puva is a last resort therapy for patients with atopic dermatitis; most can be controlled and treated with other methods, and puva treatments increase the risk that a patient will develop skin cancer and premature aging of the skin. A study from japan in 1993 showed 81% of patients responded. Only an experienced dermatologist does this treatment. Link: http://www.Ncbi.Nlm.Nih.Gov/pubmed/8485113. ...Read more
Yes: The most important trick is to apply the moisturizer within 3 minutes after bathing which you are encouraged to do (this is in contrast with older recommendations). I personally prefer ulactin which contains equivalents of the body's own moisturizer. However cervave and others have their own fans. There are also great rx moisturizers but at $75 or more for 2-3 oz- mostly unaffordable. ...Read more
Safe: Coq10 is quite safe and is being looked at in many conditions. I haven't heard of any specific to atopic dermatitis, but it certainly fits the profile of things being looked at for its use in inflammatory conditions, such as atopic dermatitis is. Perhaps a dermatologist colleague could comment specifically, but overall it is very safe. ...Read more
Treat itch, triggers: There are 4 basic principles to treating atopic dermatitis: 1: controlling itch with antihistamines, 2: good skin care for dryness, 3: using anti-inflammatory medications like steroid creams and elidel/protopic type agents, and 4: studying and addressing triggers (like food or animal allergies or chemicals that irritate sensitive skin, or superinfection with staph). See dermatologist or allergist. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I'm using ketoconazole 2% for twice a week but which shampoo is best for atopic dermatitis itchy flaky scalp for daily uses ?
Increase usage: You can use the shampoo seven days a week without any difficulty. ...Read more
Flaky cheeks/eyebrows, burning, red. History of eczema. Elidel, (pimecrolimus) azoles, tea tree worsening problem. Could it be eczema not seb derm?
Often but not always: 70% of the children lose their ad by age 7, but the other 30% don't. Ad may also develop in adulthood but this is much less frequent and may be a totally different disease. One thing seems clear-nearly all ad patients have dry skin , the result of a defective skin layer causing water loss. Moisturizer immediately after bathing is a must. ...Read more
Remove the irritant: Contact dermatitis is a straight forward issue of stopping the exposure. You also want to protect the skin with a good moisturizing lotion. Eczema is something that comes from an internal exposure like a food allergy that alters the immune system. You still want to stop the exposure, but it can be hard to find. Both conditions can be moderated with steroid creams and good lotions. ...Read more
Any over-the-counter cure for rosacea/seborrheic dermatitis on face (facial dandruff)? Can I use sulfur soap? Ointment?
How to treat seborrhoeic dermatitis of 2 y old besides steroid ointment and t-gel shampoo for scalp itching? Special moisturizing shampoo? Itches hard
See below : Not that I am aware of. If usually comes in a shampoo, but talking to a pharmacist who can compound meds may shed more light and information. ...Read more
Can I just use sunflower or olive oil if I am sensitive to fragrance and chemicals in products for dry skin or atopic dermatitis?
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Atopic dermatitis
- Feline atopic dermatitis
- Psoriasis atopic dermatitis
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Dermatitis atopic eczema
- Cyclosporine atopic dermatitis
- Scorad atopic dermatitis
- Atopic dermatitis vs eczema
- Talk to a dermatologist online for free