Top
30
Doctor insights on: Nail Polish Remover Medication

Share
1

1
Are there safer alternatives to nail polish remover?

Are there safer alternatives to nail polish remover?

Nail polish: Acetone free nail polish removers exist that may be less noxious
also there are buffing systems that shine up the nails so you don't need to use nail polish. ...Read more

2

2
I spilled a lot of nails polish remover on myself. Should I be concerned?

I spilled a lot of nails polish remover on myself. Should I be concerned?

Nail polish remover: Is it an acetone or a non-acetone nail polish remover? Acetone is a little more toxic. But — I would just wash the area with soap and warm water. Will likely not cause any problems. Take care. ...Read more

3

3
Will die if we drank nail polish remover?

Nail polish remover: Depends on the quantity. A little can make you very sick. A lot can kill you. Really bad idea to drink it. ...Read more

5

5
Does nail polish remover kill headlice?

Does nail polish remover kill headlice?

Not a good idea.: I appreciate your desire to be ridded of head lice; but nail polish remover contains acetone--not a recommended product for use on hair. Many newer medications for head lice are now available by prescription that are superior to otc products. If you have already used otc--and failed--then call your doctor and request one of the newer rxs. You'll be thankful you did! ...Read more

6

6
Could non acetone nail polish remover kill me, if I drank some of it?

Could non acetone nail polish remover kill me, if I drank some of it?

Poison Control: This is a question for poison control. If you call 1-800-222-1222 they will connect you with your local poison control and help you. ...Read more

7

7
Does nail polish remover kill lice?

Does nail polish remover kill lice?

Use lice product: Why don't you use a known lice treatment that is available at any pharmacy? There are severals that are proven lice killers, with the instructions included for best results. ...Read more

8

8
My fingernails are orange, What would that be from, could it be the finger nail polish remover?

My fingernails are orange, What would that be from, could it be the finger nail polish remover?

Orange: Yes, it can certainly be from that. Try to avoid colored nail polish till they grow out ...Read more

9

9
I have orange tips of my nails and I'm 18, not diabetic and do not use nail polish remover?

I have orange tips of my nails and I'm 18, not diabetic and do not use nail polish remover?

It will be difficult: To determine the nature of your discoloration without actually examining you. Potentially this could be a metabolic or digestive issue. I would suggest you see a health care provider for an evaluation and examination in order to approach a diagnosis for you. ...Read more

10

10
Is it safe to have my one year old daughter around fumes like.... Nail polish, nail polish remover etc.

Is it safe to have my one year old daughter around fumes like.... Nail polish, nail polish remover etc.

Best to be safe.: I would try to keep children away from as many types of fumes as possible. They can irritate the linings of the nose and lungs and are often allergenic to young children. ...Read more

11

11
Does finger nail polish remover cause numbness to your fingertips?

Does finger nail polish remover cause numbness to your fingertips?

Unlikely: Polish remover is acetone based and dries the skin and should not cause numbness only dryness. ...Read more

13

13
If nail polish remover with acetone in it got onto my skin but I rinsed it off with water afterward, will there be any negative effects on me?

If nail polish remover with acetone in it got onto my skin but I rinsed it off with water afterward, will there be any negative effects on me?

No worries: Have never seen anyone use nail polish remover without getting some of the remover onto the skin... so there shouldn't be any problem with that skin contact, as along as the remover is generally being used properly. Acetone does damage most plastics, so one should be careful where she works on her nails. ...Read more

15

15
Is it safe to use nail polish remover on an open bed sore to prevent pus from coming out?

Is it safe to use nail polish remover on an open bed sore to prevent pus from coming out?

No it is not: Pressure sores can be treated with many things, but nail polish remover is not one of them. A pressure sore that has pus draining from it needs to be evaluated by a physician familiar with pressure sore care.

Get medical care now. ...Read more

16

16
I paint my nails a lot, so use nail polish remover once a week (roughly) could this be why my finger nails are slightly orange towards the tips?

I paint my nails a lot, so use nail polish remover once a week (roughly) could this be why my finger nails are slightly orange towards the tips?

Likely: The chemical in nail polish remover, acetone, is likely affecting your nails.
For good health — Have a diet rich in fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, low fat milk and milk products, nuts, beans, legumes, lentils and small amounts of lean meats. Avoid saturated fats. Exercise at least 150 minutes/week and increase the intensity of exercise gradually. Do not use tobacco, alcohol, weed or street drugs in any form.
Practice safe sex. ...Read more

18

18
I spilled nail polish remover in-between my legs and it quickly hit my vagina because I was on a leather couch in underwear. What should I expect?

I spilled nail polish remover in-between my legs and it quickly hit my vagina because I was on a leather couch in underwear. What should I expect?

May burn: Wash the affected area with lots of water. It may cause irritation but the sooner all the affected area is cleansed of from the irritants, the sooner you can expect everything to return to normal ...Read more

19

19
I'm anemic and I have to smell perfume or hand sanitizer like almost every day. I use to smell nail polish & remover but I stopped because I don't like the smell anymore. What can I do to stop!?

I'm anemic and I have to smell perfume or hand sanitizer like almost every day. I use to smell nail polish & remover but I stopped because I don't like the smell anymore. What can I do to stop!?

See your doc. : Anemia and the associated deficiencies that may be present can stimulate the quirky cravings of taste and smell that you describe. The real issue is normalizing red blood cell levels, and therefore improving oxygen delivery to your tissues. Get a complete evaluation by your PCP, with a hematologist if complex. ...Read more

20

20
Are earth-friendly nail polish removers gentle enough to not weaken my nails?

Are earth-friendly nail polish removers gentle enough to not weaken my nails?

Inadequate evidence: These are not fda regulated products so you must rely on the claims of the manufacturer, testimonials and your own experience. Being earth friendly or natural does not necessarily mean nontoxic. Insecticides have been used to remove nail polish. Use with caution all products with possibly unknown ingredients. ...Read more

25

25
Can nail polish destroy toenails?

Can nail polish destroy toenails?

Not the good polish: An underlying nail fungus is usually the culprit, and using nail polish may exacerbate the fungus. Most good polishes will not harm the nails, and in fact can act as a protectant. ...Read more

26

26
Could you have lead poisoning from nail polish?

Could you have lead poisoning from nail polish?

No: There are potentially toxic materials in SOME nail polishes, toluene, formaldehyde and DBP. The industry has been moving away from these chemicals and coming up with non-toxic formulations. Nail polish manufactured in the United States does not have lead. There has been lead found in polish from Taiwan. ...Read more

27

27
Is it okay to swallow some dried nail polish bits?

Is it okay to swallow some dried nail polish bits?

Swallowing dried: Nail polish is not good. If you do a tiny bit by accident no worries. If you have a habit of doing that you can poison yourself. That habit may be some OCD that you need treatment for. Start w/a visit to your doctor. Peace and good health. ...Read more

28

28
What would happen my tongue jut the tip touch nail polish?

What would happen my tongue jut the tip touch nail polish?

Bad taste: You should not ingest finger nail polish, but touching with tongue may cause bad taste and a colorful tongue. ...Read more