Doctor insights on:
Can maalox (aluminium hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide and simethicone) cause some drug allergy symptoms like rash?
Yes: One can become allergic to any substance at any time, even if you have tolerated it before. Dangerous allergic reactions such as lip, face, tongue, or throat swelling require immediate trip to er; lesser reactions like a rash or hives can be treated with over the counter Benadryl (diphenhydramine) -- for an adult 2 tablets every 4 hours. Good luck! ...Read more
Yes: A person can over dose on any drug. The effect depends on the drug, the dosage, age and the person's health issues. ...Read more
Simethicone: It coats the stomach so milk may do this. Depends on what your are trying to treat with it. Lets do 2nd opinion for more details of what is going on. ...Read more
NO: Basically it is inert and used to dissolved gas formation. Please follow exact instructions on product insert. ...Read more
If i've been taking more than the daily recommended dosage of simethicone, every day, over many years, would it cause any conditions or problems?
Yes: Unless you are having painful gas.Get a more detailed answer ›
Not really toxic: Pretty benign compound that disperses gas in the stomach (mostly, rather than lower down in the gut); it sort of pops bubbles. ...Read more
Well tolerated ..: Overall it has limited adverse effects besides some reports of loose stool and stomach upset. It works as a "surfactant" to alter gas bubble formation, so it does not necessarily loose effective over time, just like soap! If you need to take it regular review this with your doctor because there may be a better way to address your symptoms. Best of luck. ...Read more
No: The chemistries are different. The gas drops are supposed to break down the bubbles to pass in an easier fashion. Gripe contains a number of products traditionally used to calm the baby, in small quantities.Whether it works is not clear, as are the gas dropstry it and see. What works for 1 baby may not work for another. ...Read more
Yes it can be taken: Yes it can be taken together.Get a more detailed answer ›
Not needed: Probably not harmful, but why take a chance, no known benefit from doing this or it would have been commercially developed already. ...Read more
Take a deep breath: First of all, any time there is over ingestion of a medication, poison control is the most important and accurate source of information. They are available 24/7. Simethicone is relatively inert and unless there are symptoms you are concerned about or it was a really huge dose, it is unlikely to be poisonouspoison control. ...Read more