Doctor insights on:
Mycelex Allergy In Children
Allergies occur when your immune system is triggered by envirionmental factors it should ignore--for example, pollen in the air, or dander on a cat or dog--and creates cells to fight against them. An allergic reaction typically causes itching, congestion, or drainage, and ...Read more
I've pruritis left foot in dist. Of medial plantar nerve for 5 yrs. Failed antifungals, lotrisone, (clotrimazole and betamethasone) hydration, urea, steroid cr. Allergy testing neg. ?
Yes: you can. By PPI you mean proton inhibitor? ...Read more
A monthl or so ago I took mycelex for possible oral thrush and since around that time my uvula touches my tounge ?
May still be Infxn:
Is your uvula painful and red? If so, it is most likely a uvulitis (inflamed uvula). Since the uvula is suspended from the top of your mouth, any inflammation can cause it to hang down more than usual. Sometimes it can even touch the tongue. Have you been back to your medical provider, since being prescribed the Mycelex? Have the other symptoms in your mouth resolved? If not, I recommend going back to your medical provider for additional assessment, since you may have some other type of infection that needs to be treated.
If your uvula is swollen and pale/translucent them you could have something that’s known as uvular hydrops. Its considered translucent if you could easily shine a light through it (but please don’t try shining a light through your uvula). Uvular hydrops occurs when clear fluid collects in your uvula, most commonly a result of either a moderate to severe allergic reaction or something that’s called hereditary angioedema (very rare, typically caused by an enzyme deficiency and shows up when you are given certain medications, like an ACE Inhibitor, which is a blood pressure medication, and sometimes NSAIDs, like Motrin/Ibuprofen/Advil/Naproxen). If this is the first time this has ever happened, it is most likely not hereditary angioedema. Most times we are unable to determine the cause of uvular hydrops, termed Idiopathic Uvular Hydrops. Uvular hydrops is a self-limiting condition, meaning it will go away on its own and you don’t need any medications to treat it.
Whichever one this may be, the most important thing to remember, is that a swollen uvula can block off your airway, making it difficult to breath. I don’t want to frighten you, but I just want you to be aware that in RARE cases, this can occur. If your uvula starts becoming more swollen, seek medical care immediately (ie. go to an Emergency Department). If you are having trouble swallowing solid foods, at the very least, stay hydrated with water, diluted Gatorade, etc; and you can also try supplement shakes for calories (drinks like Ensure or the equivalent).
If you have no change within the next 3-5 days, I recommend seeing your medical provider for further assessment/treatment. If this worsens, I recommend going to an emergency department.
Good luck and please don’t hesitate to contact us again with any further questions or concerns.
Dr. Jen Smith ...Read more
Is it safe to take diflucan and mycelex troche at the same time i came down with thrush and was put on mycelex 10 mg troche 5 times a day for 14 days now its 2 days latter and I have a yeast infected my dr called in diflucan 150 mg 1 every other day for 3
I have oral thrush can i still eat normal my doctor said no diet restriction i miss juice,pizza fruit can i still eat that stuff i am on mycelex (clotrimazole)?
Exposure + Genes: One needs both a genetic component and "exposure" to a said allergen to develop an allergy. There is a growing support over the past 20 years, that growing up in an environment which is "too clean" can also lead to development of allergies down the road. Either way, allergies are on the rise. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Nut allergy: Maybe. Your children may have inherited genes from you that make them more likely to develop an allergy, but they do not inherit a specific allergy to a food e.g. Nuts. The children have to be exposed to food proteins in the diet, before an allergy can develop. Once one develops an allergy then they are always allergic and need proper medical attention to prevent severe problems. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Allergy tests: There are several types of testing. Some involve certain types of blood tests. Another method is to do a series of skin tests done by pricking the skin and applying different allergens. Other tests are provocative tests that can involve challanging the patient with allergic materials. Testing should be done by doctors specializing in allergy to obtain the best results. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Skin & blood tests: Prick testing with allergenic extracts or fresh foods can help confirm allergy, as can blood tests for specific ige antibodies (rast-type tests). However, both types of testing can produce false positive results, and confirmation with food challenges may be needed. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Not exactly: The ability to react to certain proteins in an allergic way is passed on from parents to their children, but a specific allergy is not. So if a mom is allergic to pollen and the dad is allergic to fire ants, their child may develop allergies but it may be to a food instead. If 1 parent has allergies, the child is 50% likely to develop allergies, but it's a 75% chance if both parents are allergic. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Can I as a 46 year old, take children's Benadryl. It's all I have in the house and my allergies are terrible.
Where can I find a statistic for the number of children who died from allergies causing anaphylaxis in the u.S.?
Only overall numbers: The incidence of anaphylaxis in children is unknown. Estimates of anaphylactic deaths (from drugs, foods, insect stings, and latex) in the us are 0.002 percent annually (2 per 100, 000): 500 fatalities from penicillin anaphylaxis; 40 fatalities from bee stings; 125-150 from food anaphylaxis. ...Read more