Doctor insights on:
My Child Swallowed Lipitor
My child is two years old, and whenever I brush his teeth, he swallows tooth paste; is it dangerous?
Atorvastatin has the brand name lipitor (atorvastatin). . Its function is to lower the body's production of cholesterol and to stabilize current cholesterol plaques. The general name for this class of medication is "statins". Other statins include Crestor (rosuvastatin) ...Read more
Tablet yes cap no: There are two forms of Zoloft (sertraline). The capsule form cannot be crushed but the tablet form can. Your pharmacist may be able to make a liquid form for your son if the capsule is your only option. Be sure to follow the directions of his doctor for dosing adjustments and be sure to keep all appointments for follow up while he is being treated with this medication. ...Read more
My husband was drinking a soda and his finger accidentally touched my 3 year olds mouth. Could she get infant botulism from the high fructose corn syr?
Unlikely: Just observe him, it would take up to two days to get out of his system completely, its active metabolite is cetirizine, a rather safer antihistamine, although not recommended routinely for his age. If in doubt/concerned call the poison control center in your state for reassurance, go to your doctor /ER if any worrisome symptoms, wish you both wellness ...Read more
My 4 year old son swallow aabout 10 mg rat killer pallet, i made him vomit by itching with finger in his throad and he vomit, what should I do next. ?
Call poison control : The number is 1800-222-1222. Or go to the the nearest er. ...Read more
Ate cookie with molasses. Scared I dropped cookie crumbs and my 4 month old possibly got them on hand/ into her mouth. Could she get infant botulism?
Possible: It is possible to get botulism but it is unlikely. Watch out for symptoms 18 - 36hrs after ingestion. Symptoms in infants are lethargy, weakness, poor feeding, weak cry. Constipation is usually the first symptom to occur. There is nothing for you to do now except observation. If your baby seems to be floppy or develops any of the above symptoms, you need to go to the nearest ER. ...Read more
My 13 year old son was qtip-ing his ear, his sister scared him, he poked his ear. It started bleeding. Should we take him in tonight or is the AM ok?
Likely a scratch: The bleeding is likely caused by a minor scratch of the ear canal. However, the ear drum could be punctured. It would be best to have him examined to determine the extent of the injury and obtain treatment to aid with pain and healing. Seeking treatment tonight may be needed particularly if he is in significant pain. Otherwise, have him seen in the am and give Ibuprofen for pain for now. ...Read more
My husband and i accidentally gave our 4 yr old son, who weighs 42lbs, a double dose of childrens benadryl (diphenhydramine) for his allergies (chewable tablets 12.5mg)?
??no numbers??: The only way for me to comment on the dose is if you list what you gave. Two 12.5 mg tabs in a 42 lb kid might make him groggy but shouldn't hurt in the long run.Four tabs would put him to sleep and he'd be out for a few hours. Luckily the med clears the body in 4-8 hours. ...Read more
My 3 year old daughter told my older son that she had a penny in her belly. She is breathing, eating, drinking fine. Should i take her to hospital?
If she's fine, you : Probably can take her to her pediatrician during office hours. Pennies usually pass through the esophagus, stomach, large & small intestines & are expelled in stool. Sometimes they get caught in the esophagus. Teach her to put only food & drink in her mouth. If she continues to have pica ( ingesting non-food items), her pediatrician will check for iron-deficiency anemia & other medical conditions. ...Read more
My brother left his magnum detox drink on the table my mom thought it was gatorade and gave my 1 1/2 yr old baby 2 zips can this harm him ??
Poison : Call poison control anytime your child eats , drinks, or swallows something you are not sure about. ...Read more
My grandson is 5 weeks old, bcause he"makes a face&pushes"his parents have started giving him gas drops in his bottle each feeding, is this safe?
Normal events: At this age infants make a wide collection of facial grimaces, squeaking ; grunting sounds that have no significance. They have rubbery, pliable airways that vibrate to make additional sounds ; they have no social skills, they don't care if the noise they make is odd or not. I don't treat "normal". ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
My 16-day old baby has a cold, I'm breastfeeding him. I applied Vicks vapor rub on his feet, will it harm him?
Neonate: This will probably not do your baby any harm, but cannot find definitive articles on the issue. My advice would be to not give your newborn anything that you are not absolutely sure will not harm them before checking with your doctor. Good luck, ...Read more
My son has a bad habit of going through my purse looking for candy, he recently got his hands on ricola cough drops. Should I be worried?
Candy and medicine: You didn't mention your son's age. Important to keep your purse out of reach of your son especially if you keep medication in it. Many young children think brightly colored pills are candy- that also includes vitamins. Keep medication out of his reach, lock up if necessary. ...Read more
Probably: As a one time thing this should not be much of a problem.Stomach irritation would be expected but would be temporary. I would never suggest more than half that dose at that size, with 600 mg being the adult dose.Longer term use may result in stomach and kidney injury. ...Read more
Depends on variables: If she can swallow a gulp of water without difficulty, the material has made it into the stomach. It will likely pass through without difficulty within 4 days. If the kid won't drink, can't swallow her own secretions, or has any retching; have her evaluated.It could hang up in the swallow tube. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Daughter accidentally swallowed brackets frm braces. Does it go 2 her stomach or lungs? Worried ..
Stomach: When you swallow, the epiglottis folds down to covers the air entry site and allows the material to enter the swallow tube. Anything that accidentally enters the air tube would produce immediate and constant coughing. ...Read more
I gave my 8 year old his 3 year old brother's albuterol nebulizer for bad cough and it helped, will he have bad side effect? He is sleeping so good
He'll be fine.: Rule #1: never give another child a patient's medications. Rule #2: if you do, let your pediatrician know. Rule #3: don't give the lungs medicine without listening to them first. Ok, now to answer your question, due to his bigger body weight/size, he can handle the little guy's dosing. You could have hit the nail on the head, and surmised correctly that he may have cough-variant asthma. Follow-up. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- My child swallowed ink from a pen
- What happens if my child swallows a coin?
- What to do if my child swallowed a magnet?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Is it easier to swallow soft gels or tablets my child has problems with pills?
- What should i do if my child swallowed a whole peppermint?
- What should i do if my child swallowed a whole peppermint?
- Microgynon 30 child swallowed
- My child swallowed mr clean