Doctor insights on:
My 2 Year Old Has A Terrible Cough What Can I Give Her That Is Over The Counter
Natural vs meds: Cough, if not associated with fever, shortness of breath (sob) or chest pain, may be initially managed with "steam baths", vapor rub, or bee honey at home. Over the counter meds are indicated for kids over 4 years. Some I have found useful have guaifenicin in them (to loosen up phlegm) and dextromethorphan. If your child seems ill, has high fever or sob, make sure to take him to your pediatrician. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Safety first: Depends what medication we are talking about. Since we don't know the long term effects of most drugs it's best to be cautious. ...Read more
Are there any OTC cough suppressants that I can give my 2 year old son? He has a cough and congestion, no fever. He weighs 30 pounds.
Post nasal drip: Most of the cough is due to mucus draining from the nose into the back of the throat. Since cough medicine do not shorten the illness, the American Academy of Pediatrics has discouraged the use of any cough medicine in kids under 6 years. You can help with nasal saline drops in the nose and suction it out, use a humidifier. Vaporub is safe to use, and raise the head of the bed, give fluids. ...Read more
Yeast infections : Yes you can. It maybe better to first see if it is a true yeast infection by seeing your pediatrician. Redness and pain maybe due to bacterial infection and antibiotics are required. Adults get yeast vaginitis more than children. For a home remedy you can try a vinegar bath (1cup per tub). ...Read more
Time and patience: Colds go away in spite of, not because of, all the over-the-counter remedies we use. Some feel better with humidified air, but make sure your humidifier is clean. Decongestants and cough suppressants (used short term) can reduce symptoms of runny nose, but cough meds are better at helping you sleep than at reducing cough. Make sure your little one drinks enough fluids to avoid dehydration. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Is there a cough medicine i can buy my 6 year old that actually works?
- My 2 year old has a rash on top of arms and around her genitals what is it
- Is there an over-the-counter cough syrup that my almost 8 month old baby can take?
- If my 2 year old has teken claritin what can he take for a fever
- 5 year old has a night time cough all night what can i do
- My 5 month old baby is constipated what can i give him to relive the problem
- My seven year old has a headache and fever what should i give him
- My 7 year old has a fever of 390 c should i take her to the hospital
- Talk to a pediatrician online for free