Doctor insights on:
Mold Spores Nausea
I accidentally ate tuna that had mold on it. It was canned, but I refrigerated it for a few days. Nausea for hours, but nothing else. What now?
Probably nothing: Hopefully the acid in your stomach took care of the mold. Unless it was in some huge quantity, I don't think you need to do anything further except monitoring. ...Read more
I teach in a basement. Recently it has a musty/garbage odor. Have nausea, burning/irritated eyes, chest pain/burning. Is it chemical/CO2/mold poisoning?
It could be.: It's possible the basement had CO2 or mold. First thing to do is get checked by your Doctor to confirm your symptoms are due to an exposure. Then get the basement checked. If there is a problem, you'll have to let your students know. You may also need to find another location for your class so your students don't get symptoms as well. ...Read more
Could toxic mold in my work bldg be the cause of nausea, vomiting, fatigue, chest pain, and chronic headaches behind my left eye? Help
Yes: Mold at home or in the work place can surely cause many sx's - like the ones you mentioned. ...Read more
Unable to do things, due to recurrent allergic reactions such as severe nausea, fatigue, increased heart beat, difficulty thinking, throat swell.....?
Vocal cord dysfunction vs. Idiopathic environmental intolerance: Could be worthwhile considering vocal cord dysfunction (paradoxical vocal fold movement) as a contributing factor. This condition is often acutely exacerbated by strong scents/odors. More common in females and tends to affect patients with a history of high anxiety. Might be worthwhile getting PFTs and having a laryngoscope performed. Idiopathic environmental intolerance is another consideration but this is a diagnosis of exclusion. There are a number of filters and personal wearable devices that can help the patient deal with exposures in her environment. ...Read more
Always exposed: Fungal spores (mold) are normally found in the air outside and inside houses. In humid areas, such as Dallas, fungal spores can range into more than 10, 000 per cubic meter. In arid areas, such as the southwest deserts, they usually do not exceed 2000. Problems arise when people are allergic to mold or have water damage in the house leading to extreme increases of mold inside. Www. Aaaai. Org ...Read more
Molds: Please define your "immune response". Avoidance is key in allergies, if it is an infection, it needs to be treated. Either way you need to discuss your treatment with your doctor. ...Read more
Black mold not toxic: Extensive scientific studies of black mold show that mold, black or other colors, is not toxic to humans. If you have a mold allegy, then the spores may cause allergic eye, nasal and chest symptoms. The moldy smell can also be irritating to the respiratory tract. Mold growth indicates excessive moisture at the site of growth. The mold should be properly removed and the water leak repaired. ...Read more
No problem: Mold spores are rampant throughout our environment and are frequently present on food without our knowledge. The GI tract is efficient at attacking and breaking down these spores, so you have nothing to worry about. ...Read more
Wash/dry thoroughly: Unfortunately, molds and fungus are ubiquitous, that is, found everywhere. There are number of natural compounds to kill yeast and mold. White vinegar, tea tree oil, citrus oil, peroxide, and baking soda are all mild, natural mold killers. Beyond that, thoroughly drying clothes so that they are not folded and put away wet will keep mold from accumulating on the clothing in your drawers. ...Read more
Yes: Assuming you can prove this occured on the job; then it should be covered under worker's compensation. Check with your hr person at work. ...Read more
Mould loves the damp: If you've stored your books improperly, you may have set yourself up for an environmental issue with mould. You can often find evidence of mould if you know what you're looking for. There are thousands of different kinds of moulds, and some indeed will grow on paper-look for the signs of dusty spores, fungal elements, even the 'smell'. Bring a sample to a librarian or try a UV lamp if ur not sure. ...Read more
How can I clean up. Mold spores without just stirring them around more and what if anything to use besides bleach? How can I kill mold spores?
Get a service: If the area involved is rather small, you may attempt to clean it up with bleach then drying by taking the proper precautions (face mask, goggles) unless you are highly allergic to molds. Any material especially dry walls & particle boards contaminated must be removed. The source of water must be corrected. For any area larger than a few square feet, it is best to get a professional to do it. ...Read more
Big answer: To big a question to fully answer here, but molds can cause infections and allergy problems, particularly asthma. Molds can also be respiratory irritants via non-allergic mechanisms, too. There is much more hype and litigation about molds than there is real science or disease, imho. ...Read more
No: Your house needs to be cleaned, and the mold manually removed. ...Read more
See an allergist: Not sure what you mean by deathly allergic to mold spores since they are ubiquitous anywhere on earth and mostly present in all seasons. They are in the air. It's just how many of them are there at certain time. If you have allergy symptoms and wonder if it's due to mold, an allergist could help you make the diagnosis. We allergist are specialized in diagnosing and treating those conditions. ...Read more
Yes, but: Unless you have a specific and rare allergy to that mold there is no risk. Mold is an ubiquitous organism with tens of thousands of strains that you are exposed to every day of your life in one form or another. It is outside in the air, on trees, in the soil. The stuff that would grow on bread is not particularly toxic. ...Read more
Coughing up what looks like mold spores. All day everyday for 3 years. Very thick and sticky and shiny?
See a doctor: Please see a doctor to evaluate what this is. ...Read more
My neighbor has large patches of mold in their yard by my driveway. I got out my car and noticed. With the wind blowing could I breath in mold spores?
No risk, no worries: I think you mean moss, not mold -- related but different. Lawn moss or mold is no problem in humans. Anyway, even though you're seeing this now, we all inhale thousands or millions of mold and other fungus spores every day, whether or not we see mold or other fungi in a lawn. It's harmless. If you are not known to have asthma or other allergies made worse by mold, this is nothing to worry about. ...Read more
What is the difference between a person that can feel mold spores on skin. Taste them and irritating them to a person that feels nothing? Geneo type?
Not understanding: I am not understanding your question. This does not make sense. ...Read more
Absolutely: Spores are quite stable.Get a more detailed answer ›
Unlikely: The doctor style masks are mostly designed to give the wearer protection against droplets which are much bigger than mold spores. The masks are not very close fitting so air and particles can get around them. An n95 respirator/respirator mask which is properly fitted will reduce particle transmission by 95% and should greatly reduce mold inhalation. ...Read more
Black mold hype: This mania about "black mold" is unwarranted. Many molds are dark or blackish in color and are ubiquitous in damp climates. Molds can cause respiratory allergy symptoms and very occasionally actual infection in mostly immunocomprimised individuals. The tv hype was just that- hype. They are not the cause of every symptom from a to z. ...Read more
Does anyone know if a fish tank causes mold spores to be in the air if you have a fish tank at home?
See below: As long as the fish tank is well maintened it would be highly unlikely for mold to come from the tank. ...Read more
I just realized the water bottle in my room was filled with mold spores. I have been ill for the past 3 days could this be the reason?
Mold: Although it is never a good idea to drink water that may be contaminated, the amount of mold you ingested likely would not make you feel sick. Luckily, you GI tract has a variety of natural protections against infections. Consider taking probiotics. ...Read more
I am very afraid. I know that I am exposed to mold spores through the air ducts in my home. Can my symptoms be reversed or is damage already done?
Probably not: A huge amount of study has gone into both the effect of inhaling mold spores (which range from harmless to serious), and to the epidemiology of malignant lymphoma. Nobody's made a connection. One mystery is why non-hodgkin's lymphomas are becoming more common -- since mold's been with us for ages, it seems unlikely that this is the answer to the puzzle. ...Read more