Doctor insights on:
Mild Shellfish Allergy Symptoms
Oral and Stomach: Typically shellfish allergy would cause itching, burning, stinging and/ or swelling of the mouth, tongue, or lips. It may also cause stomach upset such as nausea, vomiting, cramping and possibly diarrhea. In some cases, it may cause a rash, shortness of breath, wheezing, coughing, and drop in blood pressure, or in severe cases death.
A shellfish allergy is an exaggerated immune response due to exposure to shellfish protein. The reaction can present with typical symptoms of hives, respiratory symptoms (cough, wheeze, shortness of breath), GI symptoms (abdominal pain, vomiting), swelling, loss of consciousness, and can be fatal. Symptoms typically present within minutes to a couple hours ...Read more
I have a shellfish allergy. But recently I've noticed when I eat desserts or fruits I have similar symptoms as the shellfish allergy. What is it?
Depends: What are the symptoms of shellfish allergy. It does not sound like full-blown anaphylaxis with the deserts (or you are remarkably cavalier). Oral itching or even swelling can occur with nuts or fruits contained in the deserts. If these are the only symptoms, could be oral allergy syndrome (or pollen-food syndrome). Allergens usually labile so as not to produce "full-blown" food allergy.
IgE mediated: Allergic reactions that are type I are mediated by the allergic antibody ige. That means they can be diagnosed using a skin or blood test for ige. They are immediate reactions with symptoms occurring within minutes to hours after exposure. Symptoms can be hives, swelling, anaphylaxis, asthma, etc.See 1 more doctor answer
Epinephrine: For severe shellfish allergy, only injectable Epinephrine for reactions is a reliable treatment. Some people with very mild allergies can use antihistamines alone, but everyone should have Epinephrine available. Unfortunately, there are no drugs that will prevent or resolve a food allergy so you can eat the food without risk, although this is an active area of research.See 1 more doctor answer
Positive or Negative: A positive skin or blood test for allergy to shellfish is enough evidence to diagnose an allergy if you have a convincing history of allergic reaction to shellfish. If the history is inconclusive, a blinded food challenge can be performed to help confirm the diagnosis. If you are diagnosed with shellfish allergy, you are at risk of a life threatening reaction. There is no test for severity.See 3 more doctor answers
See:: Http://usmilitary. About. Com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/intmedstandards. HtmGet a more detailed answer ›
Shell fish allergy: A shellfish allergy is an exaggerated immune response due to exposure to shellfish protein. The reaction can present with typical symptoms of hives, respiratory symptoms (cough, wheeze, shortness of breath), GI symptoms (abdominal pain, vomiting), swelling, loss of consciousness, and can be fatal. Symptoms typically present within minutes to a couple hours after ingestion or contact.See 1 more doctor answer
No: It is not necessary. However, it is a good idea to have one.
Possibly contribute: Yes, this is a possibility, particularly with emerging immunomodulating pharmacotherapeutics.
Maybe: Shellfish includes clams, oysters, lobster, crabs, shrimp, mussels, etc.... Some people are allergic to all shellfish. Some are allergic to only specific types and tolerate other shellfish. See an allergist for testing. Don't be foolish and take a chance.
Do not eat: Shellfish allergy generally applies to eating of shellfish. It is not communicated through the air. For good health - Have a diet rich in fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, milk and milk products, nuts, beans, legumes, lentils and small amounts of lean meats. Avoid saturated fats. Drink enough water daily, so that your urine is mostly colorless. Exercise at least 150 minutes/week and increase the intensity of exercise gradually. Do not use tobacco, alcohol, weed or street drugs in any form. Practice safe sex, if you have sex.
Same thing: Fish and shellfish have a tendency to concentrate iodine in their flesh. If you are allergic to iodine, often you will have a cross reactivity when you consume fish or shellfish. My wife, in fact, has this problem, and while she can eat fish from southern waters, she reacts poorly when she eats halibut caught in alaska. Particularly from the largest/oldest fish.
Mgt: I would request some information about the ship's medical services, and services for those traveler's affected by allergies. Maybe they will serve special meals to ensure there is no shellfish.See 1 more doctor answer
Allergies occur when your immune system is triggered by envirionmental factors it should ignore--for example, pollen in the air, or dander on a cat or dog--and creates cells to fight against them. An allergic reaction typically causes itching, congestion, or drainage, and ...Read more