Doctor insights on:
Mild Alcohol Poisoning Symptoms
Serious: Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant. Drinking too much can lead to a coma and loss of protective reflexes that prevent you from aspirating and keep you breathing. People can vomit and aspirate it into their lungs. They can be so drunk, they can stop breathing. These effects are magnified if alcohol is used with other meds that are sedating, like opioids or benzodiazepines. Be careful! Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Alcohol poisoning is similar to other depressant overdoses, like barbiturates. It is a progression from sleepiness to sleep to coma, eventually with progressively slower and more shallow breathing, resulting in accumulation of fluid in the lungs, low blood oxygen and ultimately stoppage of the heart. It can also cause accumulation of acetone (ketoacidosis) similar to diabetes, ...Read more
Unresponsive: Alcohol poisoning essentially refers to so much alcohol in the system that normal bodily funtcions are disrupted. In this condition a person is usually unresponsive or "passed out". In its most extreme state, alcohol poisoning can cause a person to stop beathing or to lose their gag reflex which can cause choking problems, particularly if vomiting occurs. Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Coma and death: Alcohol is a respiratory depressant. When one drinks, the first thing to get "depressed" are our inhibitions, so it acts like a "social lubricant." with further drinking we get sleepy and eventually fall asleep. If too much alcohol is consumed for that individuals tolerance, particularly if the alcohol is chugged, coma with the possibility of vomiting and aspiration, pneumonia and death occur. Read more
Alcohol poisoning symptoms include:
confusion, stupor, vomiting, seizures, slow breathing (less than eight breaths a minute), irregular breathing (a gap of more than 10 seconds between breaths), blue-tinged skin or pale skin, low body temperature (hypothermia), unconsciousness ("passing out"), and can't be roused.
A person who is unconscious or can't be roused is at risk of dying. Read more
A hangover: Lack of energy, appetite. Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea are not uncommon. If you are shaky, feel your heart beating very fast, have any blood in your stool or very black stools, you should seek care very soon. Other health problems relate to how often and how much you are drinking. The best plan is stopping completely, and if not, periodically enjoying in moderation. Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
After ingesting a lot of alcohol and possibly having alcohol poisoning, what will be the symptoms the next day?
Being drunk: Disinhibition which can cause poor judgement (like driving or other activities that will be impaired), increased aggression, imbalance, slurred speech, impaired reflex response time. Alcohol also causes damage to virtually every organ system in the human body when taken to excess on a regular basis. Often these do not cause symptoms until the damage is already done and may be extensive. Read more
Odd question: Alcohol poisoning is basically a sedative overdose, and usually happens when either a small child finds a leftover drink, or an adult "chugs" enough alcohol to rapidly bring up the blood alcohol concentration. Respirations slow, person loses consciousness, eventually breathing and the heart stop, or the person aspirates. Exsanguination results in hemorrhagic shock, fainting, weakness, up to death. Read more
My boyfriend is 43 & had a case of severe alcohol poisoning on Sunday. Was in icu. He came home Monday. How long will his symptoms last?
You and your boyfriend need to see a Psychologist to help both of you understand what is happening and what will be done to get things back to normal!
Please keep me posted. All should go well but I am not sure how long that will take.
The Psychologist is usually excellent! Read more
It has been 3 days after I got drunk and I still feel some symptoms of being drunk. What can I do to help? Could I have alcohol poisoning? Please help
Learning can hurt: I believe we use the term alcohol poisoning to describe the condition when the blood alcohol level is so high you are comatose and may forget to breathe. I saw it a few times taking er call in the navy. The day after process, brain fog, etc are true toxic effects but are a prolonged hangover effect., try to maintain good hydration and a simple diet.It should pass in a few more days. If not see doc. Read more
When I'm on the brain, the heart, the muscles and the body. What are symptoms of alcohol poisoning?
Brain--delirium, 'drunk', dumb
heart--heart failure, rhythm problems
good reasons for drinking lots of alcohol--you want the above... Read more
How can you tell the difference between a hangover and alcohol poisoning? I drank a lot last night. Symptoms: vomiting, rapid heart rate, weak/shaky
They can go together: You should have a physical exam to be sure your medical condition is stable. Depending on the amount and duration of your drinking as well as the exact nature of your symptoms some medication usually short term may be prescribed. Hopefully there will be a discussion of your drinking pattern and how it is impacting your life. Read more
Go to a hospital: True alcohol "poisoning" is when you drink enough to not just fall asleep, but to go into a coma, and have your breathing slow down. You would not be typing your question online if you were alcohol poisoned. If you are drinking large amounts of alcohol regularly, you at greater risk of cirrhosis, heart damage, pancreatitis, many kinds of cancer and other complications than you are of poisoning. Read more
Life-threatening: The person consumed a toxic amount of alcohol usually over a short period. Their blood alcohol level (bal) is so high it is considered toxic (poisonous). Person may be extremely confused, unresponsive, disoriented, have shallow breathing, & can even pass out or go into a coma. Alcohol poisoning can be life-threatening and usually requires urgent medical treatment. The amount varies per person. Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Liver failure: Cirrhosis is classical, such as jaundice, large belly filled with fluid, etc. But, from the perspective of a neurologist, tremors, incoordination, gait imbalance, numbness, weakness, confusion, disorientation, epileptic seizures. Of course, coma, delirium. Sudden death. Not a pretty picture. Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Toxic ingestion (also called "poisoning") is a condition in which a person has eaten or drank a substance that causes ill symptoms or damage to his body. Taking an overdose of a medicine, taking any dose of a poison, drinking too much vodka, or accidentally drinking antifreeze. . . are all ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor online
- Post alcohol poisoning symptoms
- Symptoms of alcohol poisoning day after
- Alcohol poisoning symptoms next day
- Alcohol poisoning symptoms occur days after
- Mild blood poisoning
- Alcohol poisoning rash
- Recovering from alcohol poisoning
- Alcohol poisoning symptoms diarrhea