Top
10
Doctor insights on: Microsporidia Spore Detection

Share
1

1
How do I keep spores from growing in my house?

How do I keep spores from growing in my house?

Mold growth: Molds are ubiquidous in most areas. Moist areas such as basements without good ventilation are common areas of excessive mold growth. Dehumidifiers are often fighting an uphill battle unless ventilation is also increased. A basement exhaust fan to increase air movement is often the best way to limit mold growth in the home. ...Read more

2

2
I have a mold allergy, how can i tell if my books have mold/spores? Will i be able to see it?

Mould loves the damp: If you've stored your books improperly, you may have set yourself up for an environmental issue with mould. You can often find evidence of mould if you know what you're looking for. There are thousands of different kinds of moulds, and some indeed will grow on paper-look for the signs of dusty spores, fungal elements, even the 'smell'. Bring a sample to a librarian or try a UV lamp if ur not sure. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
3

3
I was exposed to mold spores at work, and now i'm sick. Can I ask for sick pay or lost wages?

Yes: Assuming you can prove this occured on the job; then it should be covered under worker's compensation. Check with your hr person at work. ...Read more

See 2 more doctor answers
4

4
I'm worried because my fianc works for a company where the owners know there is black mold present, what do you suggest?

Ignore it: These scare stories have been all over the internet for two decades without the medical community identifying any illness clearly related to this familiar growth. Most of us think that these fears are being promoted by tort lawyers and big-money mold removal companies. ...Read more

5

5
Is black mold that is forming in our house safe?

No: Mold should not be growing in your home. There are several molds that are black in color and all could potentially cause human illness either as an allergen or a respiratory irritant for others. If mold is seen on a wall this often is due to a water leak from a hidden pipe and might require removal of the sheetrock to determine the source. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
6

6
How dangerous is black mold?

Black molds: There are reltively safe balck molds and some, such as stachybotrus, that can make you sick if exposed to high amounts of spores. There is a discussion of black molds in the patient education page of www.Drcordas.Com. ...Read more

7

7
What about the effects of toxic black mold spores, in a home, on a baby?

What about the effects of toxic black mold spores, in a home, on a baby?

Black mold not toxic: Extensive scientific studies of black mold show that mold, black or other colors, is not toxic to humans. If you have a mold allegy, then the spores may cause allergic eye, nasal and chest symptoms. The moldy smell can also be irritating to the respiratory tract. Mold growth indicates excessive moisture at the site of growth. The mold should be properly removed and the water leak repaired. ...Read more

8

8
How deadly is anthrax?

How deadly is anthrax?

Very: Skin, gastrointestinal and pulmonary anthrax are increasingly deadly in the order listed. Pulmonary anthrax, once it becomes apparent, is lethal in almost all cases. ...Read more

See 2 more doctor answers
9

9
I have had a cough and my lungs hurt! i was staying in a friends apartment that had black mold all over. Day/night quill is not helping wht to do?

I have had a cough and my lungs hurt! i was staying in a friends apartment that had black mold all over. Day/night quill is not helping wht to do?

Dayquil/Nyquil R not: For allergies. U apparently r allergic to mold & smoking makes u more susceptible to lung irritation by mold. (smoking inhibits lung's ability to flush mold or other foreign material from body). Antihistamines (zyrtec/claritin/ benadryl) may help. If problem worsens, see doc. Mold spores may have entered lungs & taken up residence. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
10

10
I have been exposed to " black mold" for at least 5+ years in the low income apt i live in , I have a list of health issues could this be why?

I have been exposed to " black mold" for at least 5+ years in the low income apt i live in , I have a list of health issues could this be why?

Respiratory probs: Mold in general can cause mostly respiratory problems, such as bronchitis, asthma, etc and sometimes nasal allergies and sinus problems. Not sure what your health issues are, but if they include any of the above, it may be related. Get tested by an allergist. ...Read more