Doctor insights on:
Methanol Poisoning In Children
Toxic ingestion (also called "poisoning") is a condition in which a person has eaten or drank a substance that causes ill symptoms or damage to his body. Taking an overdose of a medicine, taking any dose of a poison, drinking too much vodka, or accidentally drinking antifreeze. . . are all ...Read more
If lucky: Methanol can easily produce permanent damage to the eye. Have seen one or two pts who drank methanol and did recover, but most have permanent blindness, if they survive. ...Read more
No: Once methanol binds to the tissue receptors ethanol will not displace it. ...Read more
Ingestion: Usually from lead paint or contaminated water supply. ...Read more
Well visit: This should be done routinely at their 12m and/or 2 yo visit. ...Read more
Confusing question: Screening tests that indirectly assess lead exposure are part of routine health care for infants. Direct testing for lead is required by medicaid in infants and toddlers. When or if parents are actually taking their kids in for these visits varies within various cultural or family situations. Low level exposure seldom produces clinical symptoms, high level exposure will produce symptoms. ...Read more
Yes: Sure. They are the ones picking stuff up off the floor and putting it in their mouths. Adults can also get lead poisoning if they work with lead products, it's fairly prevalent in gunsmiths who pack their own ammo. ...Read more
Children more vulner: Children are more vulnerable to lead poisoning but anyone can be affected by lead toxicity. Since infants & toddlers often mouth objects & may eat strange material, they can acquire lead from painted surfaces. Once in the system, the lead can travel to blood, producing an anemia &settle in the developing brain. The build up within the brain can have profound effects., . ...Read more
Constitutional: Because children have smaller bodies, lower amounts of lead may have a greater concentration in the blood. Symptoms include loss of appetite, abdominal pain, vomiting, weight loss, constipation, anemia, kidney failure, irritability, lethargy, learning disabilities (slow to talk), and behavioral problems. Ultimately, mental retardation can be seen. ...Read more
It can: Lead intoxication can cause damage to parts of the brain that are resposible for cognitive functions. These are the areas that control learning skills. ...Read more
Food poisoning may be due to chemicals, biological toxins, and live mico-organisms. The common symptoms are nausea, vomiting diarrhoea but there are many variations. See this site for more info.
http://www. Webmd. Com/food-recipes/food-poisoning/understanding-food-poisoning-symptoms. ...Read more
It depends.: This depends on what you mean by poisoning. If you mean renal failure, this has symptoms like high BUN and creatinine (azotemia), hematuria, proteinuria, and dehydration or edema depending on the type of renal failure. If prerenal (beforethe kidney), bun/cr ratio is >20:1, renal <10-15:1, and postrenal has a high BUN of 150 if advanced. Causes like sle, strep., etc. Have unique signs (eg c3c). ...Read more
Variable: The effects of arsenic depend on whether a person has a large short-term exposure or low level long-term exposure. It affects mainly the skin, liver, and kidney; but there can be neurological signs too. Here's one of the better websites to go to for information: http://www. Atsdr. Cdc. Gov/phs/phs. Asp? Id=18;tid=3. A doctor that practices environmental medicine or a toxicologist can help you. ...Read more
Depends: There are different species of salmonella. Some will produce only intestinal problems, usually diarrhea which may contain mucous and occasionally blood. Salmonella typhi and some other species produces a disease which starts initially with constipation, followed by extension from the gut to produce fever, confusion, enlargement of the spleen and a very severe systemic disease. ...Read more
Blood test: Elevated lead levels can be detected by a blood test. As a pediatrician, I normally check at risk children at 9 months (when they start crawling) and at 2 years of age; this is done at their check-ups. Lead poisoning can lead to severe neurological problems, so if you suspect a problem, check with your doctor asap. ...Read more
Call the doctor...: If one is taking more than the recommended daily amount of zinc as a supplement, and gets some ill-feeling symptoms, she can call her doctor for an evaluation. She can stop the zinc until her doctor checks out the situation. For severe zinc poisonings, one should go to the E.R., as should be done for any serious type of poisonings. At the E.R., an exam, blood tests, and other testing can be done. ...Read more
Lead poisoning: #1 blood test for serum lead level. ...Read more
A Blood test: Is the way to diagnose lead poisoning and lead exposure. ...Read more
What symptoms do you have that make you feel that you have food poisoning? You may visit this site for information on this topic: https://www. Mayoclinic. Org/diseases-conditions/food-poisoning/symptoms-causes/syc-20356230
For good health - Have a diet rich in fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, milk and milk products, nuts, beans, legumes, lentils and small amounts of lean meats. Avoid saturated fats. Drink enough water daily, so that your urine is mostly colorless. Exercise at least 150 minutes/week and increase the intensity of exercise gradually. Do not use tobacco, alcohol, weed or street drugs in any form.
Practice safe sex, if you have sex.
Get HPV vaccine ...Read more
Life-threatening: The person consumed a toxic amount of alcohol usually over a short period. Their blood alcohol level (bal) is so high it is considered toxic (poisonous). Person may be extremely confused, unresponsive, disoriented, have shallow breathing, & can even pass out or go into a coma. Alcohol poisoning can be life-threatening and usually requires urgent medical treatment. The amount varies per person. ...Read more
Liver failure: Cirrhosis is classical, such as jaundice, large belly filled with fluid, etc. But, from the perspective of a neurologist, tremors, incoordination, gait imbalance, numbness, weakness, confusion, disorientation, epileptic seizures. Of course, coma, delirium. Sudden death. Not a pretty picture. ...Read more
Poor hand hygiene:
The biggest offender is poor hand hygiene.
Other major ones:
2. Violating regulations in the safe handling and storage of food
3. Food handlers allowed to work while having a contagious
4. Breakdown in following regulations in the production and distribution of food products
this results in the production of toxins or overgrowth of microbes that makes you sick. ...Read more
Goes the other way:
Ventilation prevents build up of carbon monoxide.
http://www. Cdc. Gov/co/faqs. Htm ...Read more
Water everywhere: Ops prevent the breakdown of acetylcholine. Excess of this leads to excess stimulation of the cholinergic nervous system. This is manifest by salivation, lacrimation (tears), sweating, urination, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. The most concerning symptoms are the "killer b's" - bronchorrhea (fluid in lungs), bronchospasm (spasm of air passages) and bradycardia (slow heart rate) which can kill. ...Read more